Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My dog is rejecting her puppies I need help

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

My dog had puppies 2 weeks ago and she now doesnt care for them at all. When I had Julien she went into heat and I wasnt paying attention because I just had a C section. I didnt know she was pregnant until about 2 weeks before. What do I do? I put lilly and her puppies in a playpen and she doesnt care for her puppies its like I have to keep putting her in the playpen but she always jumps out. Btw I do plan on getting Lilly fixed. I was always told pugs dont get pregnant easily btw which is very wrong.

by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fcangel9
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM

if she is rejecting the puppies then you need to bottle feed them until they are old enough to eat wet dog food.  If you go to a pet store, they have the bottles and puppy "formula"  you will need. 

MrsJenL
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM

hummm.. im not sure but heres a bump! good luck! 

Baby_20winnie_20the_20pooh_20sleep_20-_20winnie_20de_20poeh_20slaap_normal~Mamma-Paka!!!

cmb121906
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

If you have to block her from jumping out of the playpen, you're going to have to. She'll eventually get the hint. If she jumps out, put her right back in there and make her lay down.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Your going to have to bottle feed them. Call a vet and ask, there is puppy formula you can buy, and a vet will tell you how often you have to feed them.

lakajungurl
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

go to the pet store or walmart and get some puppy formula and some botttles and start feeding them yourself .once their eyes open they should drink out of a bowl .i have 9 pitbull puppies (8weeks old)that we had fed since they were 3 weeks old .my momma dog got milk fever and couldnt feed her babies .all 9 puppies and momma are alive and well !my weenie dog wouldnt feed her puppies either i held her and made her feed them .at around 3wks they should beable to eat the canned puppy food if you mix the puppy milk with it .what kind of puppies are they ?not that it matters i was just wondering LOL!

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM

We got Thor when he was 2.5 weeks old and the vet had us put him on Similac Advance... he did bottles for a week and by under 4 weeks was on puppy food mixed with formula and microwaved to soften... talk to your vet, though, to be sure... 

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

nessy1980
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I have formula at my house. I will give her puppies some. I know pugs can be horrible moms but something has to give with her.

TLVS
by on Jul. 8, 2009 at 6:44 PM

It is common for some breeds to not be as good mommy's as others.  There are always exceptions, but in general some breeds just aren't as motherly.  There is nothing you can do to force her to take her babies.  Trying to shove her in with them isn't going to make her care for them. 

You are going to have to bottle feed them.  It isn't really hard.  Take a bottle, one from your kids if you have any will work.  You should really get formula made for dogs, but I suppose human formula will work too.  They will eat like a human baby, every 3-4 or more hours as they get older.  Start puppy food made soggy with water at 4 or 5 weeks old.  They can be totally weaned by about 7 weeks old. 

Good Luck

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Did she reject them from the start? Are her nipples okay, or could they be sore or cracked. When our dog had her second litter she started to not want to feed them because it was so hard on her nipples. Her first littler was only 3 and she did great with them, the second bunch was 9. I used the lanolin cream for breast feeding moms on her occasoinally and it seemed to help some. It might be something worth checking.

Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM

If her nipples are the issue, bag balm will help to. They sell it in the lotion isle and its what farmers use on cow udders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)