Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood transfusion...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone ever had to have a blood transfusion due to severe anemia?  If so, how quickly after the transfusion did you start to feel human again?  Last time I had my bloodwork, my hemoglobin was 7.9 and my doctor said if it went lower than that, he might strongly recommend a transfusion.  I'm feeling pretty awful, so I'm figuring my hemoglobin has dropped lower.  I don't really like the idea of a transfusion, but if it would significantly improve my condition, I would have to seriously consider it.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had to do this and if they were glad they did it.  Thanks for any info!!

by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chairhead28
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM

7.9 doesn't seem low to me at all..but I guess I could be mistaken. Mine is normally like 4.5 or 5.0 and I'm not considered anemic.

My father had to get many many many blood transfusions because he had a rare type of follicular lymphoma cancer. He never really said if it made him feel better or worse. He needed it though because his levels were 2.0. The cancer kept destroying the blood though as soon as it went into his body so I guess that's not a good example. I'm sure it would make you feel better pretty soon. 

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

Shiiloe
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM

That must be a number other than hemoglobin...here are the thresholds:

Severity of Anemia

Severity Hb Range (g/dL) Symptoms Medical Attention
Mild 9.5-13.0 Often no signs or symptoms Commonly remains untreated
Moderate 8.0-9.5 May present with symptoms Requires management to prevent complications from developing
Severe < 8.0 Symptoms usually present May be life threatening and requires prompt management
rockstarkk
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM

yes. I was admitted to the hospital for severe anemia and my potassium levels were extremely low too, this was almost 2 yrs ago...my doc wanted me to have four units of blood, but I was refusing donor blood...so I had to wait while family members were tested...I ended up in the hosp for about a week and had two units of blood...the whole blood transfusion thing weirds me out but I did feel better...it took awhile to be totally back to normal

btw if I remember right my level was 6.5

good luck, I hope you feel better soon

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quoting Shiiloe:

Severity of Anemia

Moderate 8.0-9.5 May present with symptoms Requires management to prevent complications from developing
Severe < 8.0 Symptoms usually present May be life threatening and requires prompt management

Hmm, I guess I was wrong about mine then. I do know that was true about my father's though. His WBC wasn't even a 1.0 before he passed. I'm curious now, I have my lab work around here somewhere. I've been being tested for Lupus, Sjogrens, etc. etc. because of whacky things that have been going on lately.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

no-drama-momma
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

If u don't mind my asking, how old are you?  I ask because I saw where someone responded that your's wasn't low, but when my mother was 37 and her's was at a 3, they said she should have been in a coma....they said women her age should be around a 14....Ended up finding out she had a blood disorder and she passed the following year.  What is your condition?  Are you anemic or is this just some one time kind of issue you are having?

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
JOIN MY GROUP:  Anything and Everything...EXCEPT disrespect
http://www.cafemom.com/group/anything-and-everything

no-drama-momma
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM

That is probably your iron level...iron level and hemaglobin are two diff things.... I am now on iron pills and called anemic because my iron level should be at an 18 at this point in my preg and I am at a 10.4

Quoting Shiiloe:

Severity of Anemia

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
JOIN MY GROUP:  Anything and Everything...EXCEPT disrespect
http://www.cafemom.com/group/anything-and-everything

Shiiloe
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I'm 38 and yeah, they have told me it should be up around 14.  I have trouble metabolizing iron and have had some level of anemia pretty much my entire adult life.  I suspect that when I get my bloodwork done this time they are going to at the very least put me on iron shots.  I'm also going to suggest endometrial ablation in hopes that it will help, since I am absolutely positive I will have no more children. 

MOMOF2154
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM

i am suffering through anemia right now myself and I almost had to have a transfusion last month. I am currently on 3 dif pills and an injection. I wish they would've given me the transfusion b/c I can't even move. I know how you feel. sorry couldn't answer your question.

I can tell you that they told me that at 8.0 the do transfusions and mine was 8.1.So I would say you probably should get one.

Shiiloe
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM

It is good info to know though...at least I know my doctor isn't jumping the gun at something under 7.9.  The not being able to move part does seriously suck...I totally know how you feel.  I think moms will push through even the most dangerous situations because they just have to do what they have to do.  I know I shouldn't be struggling to make nice dinners and carry things up and down the stairs, but I do it and then I crash on the bed because I feel like I'm going to die from my heart jumping out of my chest.  The last two days the room spins every time I stand up and I have a pinching feeling in my chest, so now I'm getting a little scared.  I'm hoping the papers for the bloodwork get here in the morning.  Thanks again for the info  :)

Quoting MOMOF2154:

i am suffering through anemia right now myself and I almost had to have a transfusion last month. I am currently on 3 dif pills and an injection. I wish they would've given me the transfusion b/c I can't even move. I know how you feel. sorry couldn't answer your question.

I can tell you that they told me that at 8.0 the do transfusions and mine was 8.1.So I would say you probably should get one.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Ahhh, you were right. My RBC was 4.2 and my hemoglobin was 10.7. Sorry about that confusion, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)