Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pay advice please??! piog

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, currently I nanny for 3 children, ages 4 and 3.  I do not do any housework other than the kids toys...but I do engage them in learning activities and preschool lessons.  I currently am making 8.75/hour which comes out to 350 a week.

I am seeking new employment and have had some response.  One emailer has 5 children, 2 of which are younger and not in school.  They also WANT a housekeeper (me).  They want to know  how much to charge....???  I will not take anything less than what I'm making now, but after 2.5 years in the business, is it right for me to ask for more??  My experience alone is amazing, but on top of that they have 5 kids AND need a maid.  What do you think?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jnick82
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

for 3 kids in daycare I pay 400 a week I would say in the 600 a week range would be fair. Are the older ones in school? Will you have to transporet them to and from and if so will the vehicle be provided?

tinkerxbell
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

No less than 10 an hour but I'd go for at least 12 myself based on your experience, the extra kids and the house work.

xElizabethx
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

In my opinion you NEED to be paid more than what you're currently making for three reasons. 1. More kids = more work. 2. Being a nanny and a maid are two different jobs. 3. Your experience and how desirable (references, training, education, first aid, etc.) you are.

I don't think I'd do it without making at least $12 an hour. I know that sounds like a lot to some people but think about what you're doing. In my experience people never want to pay what good care is worth. For some reason they'll buy a lexus, brand new 4000 sq foot home, and designer clothes but then want to pay crap for "house help".

Good luck!

clb24
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I have done house work before I charged 50 for cleaning and it would take me about 2 and half hours. If i had to watch 5 kids and do house work and with your exp. i would at least ask for 12.00 a hour. Its cheper then daycare for the 5 kids and your cleaning for them. You still have your other job if they say no but if they did the math and need someone then they will still be comeing out in the better and so will you. You might even want to ask for more depending on how much daycare is where you live. good luck

christina0607
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I would treat it the same way a daycare does. A weekly rate. I would decide how much money per week would make it worth my while.

How many days/hours a week do they expect you to work?

SuperMonkeyMama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

If you are currently paid $8.75/hour for the two stay at home children, you are earning approximately $4.38/child.  I would start with the base salary of $8.75 for the two that are home full time.  Figure in the next three children at 1/4 that rate (because that's probably the correct portion of time they will spend with you).  That equals $1.09/hour x 3 kids = $3.28/hour additional.  For cleaning, depending on what they want you to do (windows, baseboards, serious deep cleaning, etc. is EXTRA), I would add another $75 per week, which is actually MUCH less than what most private maid services charge for cleaning only ONCE per week.  That would give you a weekly pay of $556.02 or $13.90/hour.

For the amount of work you would be doing between child care, homework, housework, cooking, etc., I would consider that an absolute bargain!  Good luck!

o0gone0o
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Well find out what sort of house keeping the expect of you.  Like if there are certain things you won't touch I know many people don't want to touch a bathroom for instance.  Some house keepers refuse to do laundry as thats something you can mess up fairly easy i.e, shrinking sicoloring not removing a simple stain so find out what the expect.  I know most house keepers around here get paid 8-10 depending on the level of cleaning expected. But they are expected to be done in a fairly short amount of time.  So I guess I'd say ask for $10 from the women w/ all the kids as you'll only be watching 2 full time + housekeeping(hopefully only light housekeeping)

Elizabeth1015
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Thanks ladies.

It took me awhile to word my email response to them, but I basically explained the 2 options they have for paying me (hourly or weekly flat rate) and I also told them that I'd like to find out more details about the job, location, hours, and duties before deciding upon compensation.  I'm also thinking that this job is a lot more than what I'm currently doing, therefore would require a bigger pay.  Thanks for the advice

Elizabeth1015
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

this is AMAZING, thank you so much for breaking it down for me like this!  This sounds so much more professional than what I could have thought up...definitly bookmarking this page, lol!

Quoting SuperMonkeyMama:

If you are currently paid $8.75/hour for the two stay at home children, you are earning approximately $4.38/child.  I would start with the base salary of $8.75 for the two that are home full time.  Figure in the next three children at 1/4 that rate (because that's probably the correct portion of time they will spend with you).  That equals $1.09/hour x 3 kids = $3.28/hour additional.  For cleaning, depending on what they want you to do (windows, baseboards, serious deep cleaning, etc. is EXTRA), I would add another $75 per week, which is actually MUCH less than what most private maid services charge for cleaning only ONCE per week.  That would give you a weekly pay of $556.02 or $13.90/hour.

For the amount of work you would be doing between child care, homework, housework, cooking, etc., I would consider that an absolute bargain!  Good luck!

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I know my cousin was paying $100 a day for a nanny for one child and I am not sure about what they pay for two children but for what they want I would definately say at least $600 a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)