Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you let your kids?????........

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM
  • 73 Replies

play outside by themselves??? if so what ages are they?? my dd is only 3 and my friend keeps asking me why i dont let her play outside in the yard while i do dishes or somthing. well for one we live in a crappy neighborhood and for 2 the road we live on no one drives the speed limit they speed down it like they are in a hurry always. and plus our backyard is not in viewing distance of a window. so no i dont feel comfy letting her play outside with out me so now what about you and your neighborhood???

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squidsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I live in a good neighborhood, in the small town I grew up in with windows all around my house so I would be able to see my daughter, my daughter is about a week older than yours and I would NEVER consider letting her play outside alone at that age. My aunt has a fenced in yard and we don't let the kids play alone. In my opinion, that's way too young and I trust my daughter to behave, so it's not a behavior issue with her, it's age.

mommagann
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM

nope....on very rare occasion i'll let my son(5) play on the patio that is connected off the kitchen...but he never is to leave the patio and i leave the door open always, just in case he should need to get in quickly...we live on the outskirts of town, and i still dont feel comfortable. i'm really overprotective...i've been that way since he was born. if he wants to go outside myself or husband goes with him.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM
I do. I have a 7 and 3 year old. We have a great big, fun backyard, all fenced off and I can see them through the windows. Or if they go in the front yard I just open a door or window so I can see or hear them. They ARE NOT allowed near the street though. And if they go out front, it's together or with our neighbor kid.

I live in a fairly nice, quiet neighboorhood that's still kinda developing. Granted, you never know who's around, but I feel comfortable enough with it.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

fcangel9

my son is 6 and he has only been playing outside by himself since he was 5.  I didnt think my son was mature enough to be out there alone...

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM

hell no a 3yr old should not be outside alone.I have fenced in yard and wouldnt allow it.maybe age 5 but only for short periods of time .I think your friend is being foolish.

RiNKeasMom

Yes I do let them play. However, we live in a decent neighborhood and they are only allowed to play in the fenced in backyard. Plus its not just a chain fence they could climb its a 6.5 foot privacy fence. If it wasn't fenced or we lived in a no so great neighborhood they would not be allowed.

momoftwo0720
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM

My dd is 4 and hell no she does not step out of the door without me right behide her. Your friend needs to turn on the news and see all these missing kids out there and maybe it would change her mind. I don't care what neighborhood you live in things happen EVERYWHERE!! I live on a army post and i still think things could happen.

hannahsmommy321
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM

i agree! i thought somthing was wrong with her when she said it i am paranoid and scared she would get snatched

Quoting momoftwo0720:

My dd is 4 and hell no she does not step out of the door without me right behide her. Your friend needs to turn on the news and see all these missing kids out there and maybe it would change her mind. I don't care what neighborhood you live in things happen EVERYWHERE!! I live on a army post and i still think things could happen.

mymakenna
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM

i live outside city limits on a semi-busy twp road...my daughter is still to young to be outside, but i think its going to be a long time b4 she'll be allowed by herself...like 5.

now a fenced in yard is a different story, we have already discussed doing this...

mymakenna
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:46 AM

does she know where her kids are?

Quoting hannahsmommy321:

i agree! i thought somthing was wrong with her when she said it i am paranoid and scared she would get snatched

Quoting momoftwo0720:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)