Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finders Not Keepers in Lottery Case

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

Finders Not Keepers in Lottery Case

AOL News
posted: 22 HOURS 39 MINUTES AGO

(July 27) -- Michael and Amanda Stacy won 30,000 British pounds after hitting the jackpot on a lottery ticket late last year. The only problem with their good fortune was it wasn't theirs.
The ticket -- worth more than $49,000 -- had been bought by Dorothy McDonagh, who later dropped it on the floor of a supermarket, according to an Agence France-Presse report. 

After McDonagh proved she was the rightful owner of the ticket, a court in Swindon, England, ordered the Stacys to return 15,000 pounds to McDonagh, plus 111 pounds in interest, in a decision announced Friday. The couple had already spent the other half of the prize money.
"It's jolly decent of them to let me have a half share of my win," McDonagh said after the court decision. The 61-year-old will have to sue Camelot Group, the operators of the UK National Lottery, if she wants to recover the remainder of her money.
The Stacys, who in April were given an 11-month suspended jail sentence for fraud in the case, claimed they thought the money was rightfully theirs, under the assumption "finders keepers."

What do you think the outcome should have been??

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jorrensmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:47 AM

How did the "rightful winner" prove that it was her ticket?

MissiHampt
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I think if someone is foolish enough to lose a winning lottery ticket, it should be fair game to anyone who happens to find it.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Quoting jorrensmom:

I don't know. I was wondering that myself because they didn't explain that part.

I would guess that she may not have had all the numbers so she was able to name every number on the ticket but aside from that I don't have a clue how she proved it.

itsallabtthem84
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Quoting jorrensmom:

^^^Click to join^^^

BigOlMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I'm sorry, but if that old bitch threw/dropped the ticket on the floor, she is just shit out of luck, IMO. The people who cashed in the ticket are the rightful winners. How on earth can she prove she purchased the ticket anyway? I think this is BS.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Quoting BigOlMommy:

I'm sorry, but if that old bitch threw/dropped the ticket on the floor, she is just shit out of luck, IMO. The people who cashed in the ticket are the rightful winners. How on earth can she prove she purchased the ticket anyway? I think this is BS.

The people who found it actually got criminal charges charged against them for fraud in this case and the Judge demanded they award her $15k of that money since they spent the rest paying off bills.

AMsMommy212
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I agree with the PPs if you drop your lotto tickets it belongs to whomever finds it..

and I, too, wonder how she was able to prove it was her ticket...

I think it is total crap that the people who found it were charged with fraud.. it's ont thing that she get the money back when she was able to "prove" the ticket was her's.. but to charge them with a CRIME?

mommy2isabella
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM

The old lady dropped it......oh well

Ridiculous 

in love blowing bubbles  toddler boy*Happily married to Erik and proud mommy of a girl and a boy*

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Somehow I doubt that if this happened in the U.S. the founder would be charged with fraud, just because they took advantage of a winning ticket, however, morally it is one's responsibility to turn found items over to the police and see if it's claimed with 30 days or it's then considered yours, so who knows.

Is it law that one MUST turn over found items? I'm not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)