• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat question

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

my dd is out growing her infant car seat. shes two pounds shy of the max. weight requirement and an inch over the max height requirement. ( shes 18lbs and 27") i was wondering what kind of car seat we should move up to next. what do you suggest. prices are outrageous at babies are us. i havent checked walmart yet. but thats my next stop. tyia!

"The debt of gratitude we owe our mother and father goes forward, not backward. What we owe our parents is the bill presented to us by our children."

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meesa0210
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I would def try walmart or kmart. Last week Kmart had some really good deals on carseats.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM

She has already outgrown it. Height is JUST as important as weight.

I personally love the True Fit... My son is 31 months, 30lbs and 38 inches while my daughter is 16 months, 19lbs and 30 inches. They are both still rear facing in this seat. It has side impact protection, EPP foam, seat belt lock offs, deep seat and high shell. It comes in lots of patterns and the seat cover snaps on and off for super easy cleaning. It rear faces to 35lbs and harnesses to 65lbs with a 7 year expiry.

The higher prices are usually worth it because you DO get what you pay for. The exception to that is the 3 in 1 seats (Eddie Bauer, Alpha Omega etc.) because they have low harnessing limits and make dangerous booster seats. They are NOT worth the money.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

peanutsmommy1
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

car seats are an example of you really DO get what you pay for... trust me, I dropped over $200 in seats that didn't last me because I didn't know what I was buying

You need to keep her rear facing, so you will need a convertible car seat. I would recommend the True Fit or the Graco MyRide 65

mama2mycuties
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM

she'll need to stay in a rear facing seat until she's at LEAST one but please also look into extended rf its 5x safer!.........look at the truefit and the graco myride they are a decent price and very good seats.........the myride rf til 40lbs and ff harnessed to 65lbs......the truefit rf to 35lbs and ff to 65lbs harnessed. you can usually find great deals online or if you can hold out til sept that is when companies have large car seat sales and can get a great deal......it all depends on how fast she has been growing in weight.......what seat do you have her in now?

as far as the height the ONLY way a child outgrows a seat that way is if there is less than 1 inch of shell above their head........the heights given for a seat are recommendations and you can confirm this directly thru the manufacturer or speaking w. a car seat tech. So check her over and make sure there is 1inch of shell above her head and that the harness is still fitting well(the straps should be just at/below her shoulders for rf) and if it is she can continue to safely use it until you find a seat.

avoid the 3-in-1's most kids outgrow the strap height before getting full use of the seat and are a complete waste of money in the end.

shaunalynn25
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

The true fit is amazing, but if money is tight, the cosco scenera is affordable, and if you use it properly it will be safe. I agree with pp keep your LO rear facing as long as possible or at least until the law says ok. 1yr AND 20 lbs. GL!

lundaylove
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

what other mommas are saying is true. If your seat has a height limit and your daughter is over it then shes outgrown the seat. Youll need to get a convertible seat that will allow you to continue rear facing. Like other mommas said is the true fit is honestly the best. Next would be the sunshine kids radian. but those are more expensive but less than britax ones. but its solid steel construction and rear faces to 40lbs. But my #1 choice is definately the True Fit.

If money is tight id suggest getting a cosco scenera for like 50 bucks at walmart and save up for the true fit. You can find it for around 150 online, sometimes less, you just gotta look and find coupon codes and such. But save up either way and get you a good seat that WILL LAST. Since the scenera rear faces to 35lbs thats good but it only FFs to 40lbs, and that is definately too soon for a booster. The true fit and most other seats except evenflo ones will FF to 65lbs,which at that point its safest to move into a booster.

But either way, whatever seat you choose, you need to get a new seat, ASAP, as you said your daughter has already outgrown the height limit.

jeweldog
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I got a great car seat that converts as they grow (up to 100lbs) at target on clearance for $150.  It is an "Eddie Bower" edition... the only reason it was on clearance was because it was last years model and the new ones just had a different fabric.  It was regularly $500!  I will be able to use it until he is 5 years at least.  I highly recommend convertible seats... they are great.

peanutsmommy1
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Quoting jeweldog:

I got a great car seat that converts as they grow (up to 100lbs) at target on clearance for $150.  It is an "Eddie Bower" edition... the only reason it was on clearance was because it was last years model and the new ones just had a different fabric.  It was regularly $500!  I will be able to use it until he is 5 years at least.  I highly recommend convertible seats... they are great.

most techs will tell you to stay away from a 3 in 1 seat. For the money, they typically do not last kids to the 40lbs/40inches because of their short shell height

1stTimeMom2Ella
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Weight is super important. If she is over the weight limits than she has outgrown the seat. Height is important, but if little one fits the harness with more than 1 inch of seat shell (hard plastic not fabric) above her head then she can still use the seat height wise. Some kids can be all legs and have a shorter torso.

If money is a major issue, the Cosco Scenara is a inexpensive convertable seat which rearfaces to 35 pounds and forward faces to 40 pounds. Overstock.com had one girly cover on sale for $36 + S&H. Most places carry them for $50 or less.  

Kayleen - Full time working mom married to a wonderful husband of 5 years, Mom to 19mo DD and stepmom to 13yo DSD. Cloth Diapering DD and love it!

jeweldog
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Quoting jeweldog:

most techs will tell you to stay away from a 3 in 1 seat. For the money, they typically do not last kids to the 40lbs/40inches because of their short shell height

I thought of that too so I took it to my local fire department and police dept for advice on it before I installed it and they said it was a well made and good choice... they even installed it for me.  They even took the time to check if it was recalled for me... I'm comfortable with my car seat for my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)