Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can toddlers experiance depression?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

my son is 2 1/2.

here lately i have no idea what is going on with him.

it seems pretty random to me.. but out of the blue alot recently he... just... goes quiet.

when i ask him what is wrong he tell me that he is sad or mad.. and just has the most... blank look on his face.

hes also become very clingy lately.. he ALWAYS wants me

is this normal? is he just trying to understand his emotions? its pretty random when he goes through these little... episodes.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jjessers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Have there been any changes in his life ?

Did you move???

....does he go to daycare ?

Have you asked him WHY he's sad or mad ?

I dunno just trying to think of different things

ToriBabe1221
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM

yes, we did just move.

we've also taken several, very long weekend trips in the last month or so.

so, hes had a very busy month.

when i ask him why hes mad or sad he tells me he doesnt know.

:(

ToriBabe1221
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM

oh, and no he does not go to daycare. he stays home w/ me :)

MAMAOF2ANGELS
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Yes anyone can feel depression. When I was a year old my mom comitted herself due to baby blues I was put in a very abusive foster home. I almost didn't make it because I began to go backwards.

Maybe you should try to do some fun things with your boy. Keep him busy maybe buy him some new toys or books. GL

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I'm sure it's not impossible and I'm sure he's just getting some emotions. Some toddlers are more emotional than others. I dread the day my DD (almost 11 months) turns into a toddler, lol. She's such an emotional roller coaster even now.

Since you've moved and have had a busy month, that could be it. Some babies are more clingy than others. Both of my kids are EXTREMELY clingy to me, but they should be, we're their moms, KWIM? I don't think you have anything to worry about. Maybe try taking him to the park, or a fun place he loves to go. Maybe get his favourite snack or ice cream or something special just the two of you can do to maybe see if that helps lighten up his mood.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

jjessers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM

The move alone could have done it.....

Our son went through something when we moved last yr.

I just made sure to keep him on his schedule Every Day.....for a little while at least...so he has stability. Not saying your unstable..I just mean because of the move and what not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)