Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who freecycle(PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

How much do you take from a person before you let an item go? I had a bookshelf on there and this guy asked if I could wait until 6-7 because his car does not do well in the heat. Okay, no show last night and then sends me a message at 8:30 or so telling me he could not get his car to start. I told him I let someone know that I will tell them in the morning if it was not gone and since he sent me a message I would wait till the afternoon. He said he would get his wife car and get here early in the morning. Well, I let it go at almost 10;00 because it was still there. I did send him a message also. This was a person who emailed about the self and was coming to pick something else up. So then I get an email after 10:00 from him saying he came by and there was nothing there. And another after he got my message saying he was not happy and telling my about kharma.......kharma my friend and how he worked hard to get his car to start. . I did send him a message back saying I was very sorry that I thought he was not coming because he told me early morning. He says it's okay........like I said kharma. Should I feel bad about this?..........I was for sure he was a no show again. Would you have let it go?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Don't feel bad.  You gave him plenty of chances to get it.

lysa7lou0507
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I don't know...I had one person do something like that with me when I was freecycling my entertainment center. I actually held out for 2 weeks before telling the original person that I couldn't hold it anymore, I really needed the room. I also gave away my two baby girl kittins on freecycle and I waited 3-4 months for the lady to come and get them. She finally did and now she emails me regularly with updates on them. I think you did nothing wrong, and it's not like you know the guy personally, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I just got a new doggie because a lady no showed on this lady 3 times. Plus the guy was like I  understand if you let it go. Each message he said that.

Quoting lysa7lou0507:

I don't know...I had one person do something like that with me when I was freecycling my entertainment center. I actually held out for 2 weeks before telling the original person that I couldn't hold it anymore, I really needed the room. I also gave away my two baby girl kittins on freecycle and I waited 3-4 months for the lady to come and get them. She finally did and now she emails me regularly with updates on them. I think you did nothing wrong, and it's not like you know the guy personally, so I wouldn't worry about it.

alliesmom112
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I would have let it go too. I have had numerous people do no shows to me too. I give them 1 day after that I give it to someone else.

CullenLover
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM

i agree with you, and i would have done the same thing , if the reason behind them not coming is reasonable then i hold it but after so long what else can u do ?  i had someone do soething similar gave me a story each time and after a few days i told her im sorry but i cannot hold it anymore and went to the next person, some people expect you to wait for they're time and thats not right,

IloveHayden08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I basically just gave up on freecycleing because of all of the no shows. Its like hello I am giving you this for free, come get it when you say your going to or ill give it to someone else...If I were you I would always put needs to be gone by tomorrow, that helps a little.

MrsRStewart
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Maybe tell him that.  One more chance; or just tell him you found someone else to take it.  Depends on if you will feel guilty about it.  If he really wants it, he will find a way to get it.

Quoting IloveHayden08:

I basically just gave up on freecycleing because of all of the no shows. Its like hello I am giving you this for free, come get it when you say your going to or ill give it to someone else...If I were you I would always put needs to be gone by tomorrow, that helps a little.

a wedding website

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

For now on...I'm going to set everything by the curb and say come get it. I feel stuck in the house waiting for people.

lundaylove
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

thats why i ask for a date and time of pick up and if they dont show it goes to the next person. i dont feel bad, they had their chance. its free after all and you gotta grab it fast!

ptjstjean
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I cannot even tell you how many times people said they would pick something up and were no shows.  I usually go down the list and if they don't show up on time, it goes on my street with a big fat free on it.  I think a 24 hr period after they say that they will come is more than enough.  If they really want it, they won't waste your time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)