Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Warning about paypal

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am warning everybody I know to cancel their paypal accounts.  I got a phone call the other day from Paypal wanting to confirm a $100 transaction on my account.  I did not make a transaction.  While I was still on the phone with them I logged in to check my account and in addition to that $100 transaction there were two $50 transactions that had occured since they called me!  I told them to lock down my account.  They said they could not stop it from going to the bank and I would have to call my bank to stop payment or wait until it cleared and request a check.  My bank said I would have to call right after the transaction reached them (it had not reached them yet) and I did not have time to sit around and wait for it to go through.  So now I am on the phone with paypal trying to get them to send me my money back without unlocking my account by logging in and cancel it.

I am not the only one this has happened to.  The same thing happened to my in-laws!  So yeah, don´t trust paypal!

Oh, and on top of that paypal will not just return my funds until I go in and unlock my account!  They say they have to confirm my identity.  I´m sorry but sending funds back to the same account they were wrongly taken from is NOT me trying to take someone else´s money!  And they did confirm my identity over the phone!  I do not want to leave my account unlocked for someone else to take advantage of and use MY money!

So now I guess I will contact the BBB because this is just not right.

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 

For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BigOlMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I understand your frustration, but you had to have known when you signed up for paypal that there was a chance someone could hack into your account. Anything dealt with over the internet can be hacked into. Your email, cafemom, myspace, even your bank account if you access it from the internet. My advice is to switch all of your info, or just cancel your account & start a new one. Our checking account got hacked into a couple years ago, but I didn't contact the BBB about my bank & I didn't cancel my account. I dealt with it, did what they asked, & got my money back. Then I changed my passwords, etc.

swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

The exact same thing happened to me.  It was $650.  The person selling the item reported it as fraud but paypal still went through with the transaction.  Took me 2 weeks to get my money back.  I hate paypal!

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I understand the risk.  I changed every other password of mine.  I checked my credit report and put a fraud alert on it.  The only reason I am contacting the BBB is because they REFUSE to give me my money back unless I activate my account again!  It is MY money and they have no right to hold it!

And I could understand if it was an isolated event but since the same thing happened to my in-laws a few months ago I do not trust their security any longer!

Quoting BigOlMommy:

I understand your frustration, but you had to have known when you signed up for paypal that there was a chance someone could hack into your account. Anything dealt with over the internet can be hacked into. Your email, cafemom, myspace, even your bank account if you access it from the internet. My advice is to switch all of your info, or just cancel your account & start a new one. Our checking account got hacked into a couple years ago, but I didn't contact the BBB about my bank & I didn't cancel my account. I dealt with it, did what they asked, & got my money back. Then I changed my passwords, etc.

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 

For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

BigOlMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I guess it's just their policy to not add money into an inactive account. Makes sense to me. I would just do what they say to get the money back.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I understand the risk.  I changed every other password of mine.  I checked my credit report and put a fraud alert on it.  The only reason I am contacting the BBB is because they REFUSE to give me my money back unless I activate my account again!  It is MY money and they have no right to hold it!

And I could understand if it was an isolated event but since the same thing happened to my in-laws a few months ago I do not trust their security any longer!

Quoting BigOlMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)