Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT IS A MYSTERY SHOPPER?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was sold there are benifits to being a mystery shopperbut what is it?How do you get into it and what do you do?I think you go to stores and restaurants but thats all i know.Has any oney ever do this to make extra money i'm not sure if you get money food or merchandise.Just asking Thanks Anne

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WanziesMommie
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM

is it a person that shops or looks around and critiques, but noone knows what ur doing? LOL! just a guess i dont know either...  confused 

Katenemsmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM

When I worked at Office Depot we would have mystery shoppers come in once a month.  We actually figured out who it was because it was the same lady every month.  Anyway, she had to go to each department and ask the sales person a bunch of questions then fill out a detailed survey about her visit.  We would get the report and it was pretty detailed with the sales persons names listed, how knowlegeable they were about the product, did they greet you, etc.   At the end she would have purchased an item, normally for about a dollar. 

bluescape
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

i do mystery shopping but not as much anymore now that i have three children that i babysit. but i belong to about 4 different mystery shopping sites and they send you emails all the time about mystery shops in your area. some of the more popular ones you have to apply for cuz lots of people want them or you have to meet certain criteria. but most are self-assign shops. there are ones that pay money and some that pay in merchandise. you'd have to do a lot of them each day to make a really substantial amount of money though (there might be some out there that pay big but i haven't found any) it works just like the mom above described about office depot. they give you the shopping scenario and what to ask and sometimes you have to make sure you have a timer or a wristwatch with a second hand to report exact times of certain things. like if it's fast food shop for example, they might ask you to list the exact minutes and seconds it took to receive your food. it can be fun; i've done some that i really enjoyed. pm me if you like and i can give you the links to the ones i belong to.  

LEMONS
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM

BUMP!

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM

my mom did this for Safeway Food Stores. She would look at the outside see how many carts were left in the parking lot and in the cart corral and if the parkinglot and front of store was clean. How many lanes were open. If she was greeted by a cashier, if she was asked for help by any other employee. Had to go into different dept and ask questions. She then had to keep a very detail acct of what happen. Then she filled out a report. She got paid mileage plus a hourly rate. And if she spent over a certain amt then they reimbursed her. I want to do this too but I havent found any1 that is reputable yet.

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM

There is so many  different  ways to mystery  shop.

If you  live in a big  city  you can get a lot of  jobs.

The more  jobs you  get the  more companies want you and  you  "move" up and you get even better ones!

The  best ones  are  testing out hotels and cruises!

Right now  if your  a NURSE there is one for  175 an hour on the phone!

www.Narms.com is a  good  jump starting one.

DawnPratt23
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Bumo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM

If you choose to do it just be careful. If you have to pay to get started, it's a scam. But you get to shop at places on the list. Just pretend you're a regular shopper. Ask questions about merchandise and see if the sale people are nice, mean...rude, whatever. Then you have to fill out survey's for the place you went to. They're supposed to reimburse you on the money you spent and you get to keep the things you bought. They also do this for restaurants and other place.

faren128
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Pm me im interested in how to get started

Quoting bluescape:

i do mystery shopping but not as much anymore now that i have three children that i babysit. but i belong to about 4 different mystery shopping sites and they send you emails all the time about mystery shops in your area. some of the more popular ones you have to apply for cuz lots of people want them or you have to meet certain criteria. but most are self-assign shops. there are ones that pay money and some that pay in merchandise. you'd have to do a lot of them each day to make a really substantial amount of money though (there might be some out there that pay big but i haven't found any) it works just like the mom above described about office depot. they give you the shopping scenario and what to ask and sometimes you have to make sure you have a timer or a wristwatch with a second hand to report exact times of certain things. like if it's fast food shop for example, they might ask you to list the exact minutes and seconds it took to receive your food. it can be fun; i've done some that i really enjoyed. pm me if you like and i can give you the links to the ones i belong to.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I do mystery shopping for a couple companies but the jobs are very very sporadic and I am in between two large cities and even so they are slow... also they dont pay very well in most cases they just cover your expenses and writing the detailed reports can take over an hour and you dont get paid extra for that.

The most I made doing this was a paid for dinner out for me and my husband but in return I had to write an hour and half very detailed report, they covered up to $55 for our dinner but dinner was $65

be warned that pretty much any one of them you see that just pop up on the internet or on the radio promising money for mystery shopping are SCAMS!

typingIf you want legitimate ones they are on a free website under mystery shopping at

amylynn.org/home  anything on her site IS legit!

never EVER pay money to make money online.

good luck

Yvonne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)