Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the government should MAKE you take your kids to the doctor?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM
  • 32 Replies

I was listening to my favorite radio show today.. (rob arnie and dawn) and they got on the subject about a family who daughter had diabetes but they never knew it because there religion didnt beleive in "doctors"...soon after the little girl died from her diabetes and the parents were thrown in jail for homicide because they could have prevented it. ANYWAYS, they were talking about maybe the government maybe MAKING a working family take your kids to the dr. like make it a requirment. to protect your child as an innocent being and to protect other kids and people they are around from infectious diseases..... i thought about it. and well yeah i think its only right to take your kids to the dr. im not sure how many times a year they would "require" it but as an infant it should be every couple months and as a toddler and up maybe a couple times a year... i was just wondering what you ladies think.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I think the government has too much control over our lives as it is, I don't want them telling me anything else that I have to do or can't do.

I do think that well child visits should be encouraged, but never forced.

bellasmom32808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I might be bashed for this, but I think it would be a great idea. Maybe doctors could pick up on signs of abuse and neglect, and report them, preventing more horrible deaths. Also, diseases like that little girls would be caught early on.

tashamyork
I guess I have never really thought about it because I respect the doctors we have so much here I wouldn't ever imagine not taking my child for regular checkups. I have never known anyone that absolutely won't take their kiddo. I have friends that don't believe in medicating the children with synthetic meds but they still take her to the doc for diagnosis and then get a second opinion from someone like a mid wife for children, then they use herbal remedies. But even when she got pneumonia when she was a baby they used antibiotics.
jeweldog

Can you post a tougher Question?  I don't want to impose on someones religious beliefs but on the other hand young children should be protected from neglect.  The parents could have done more for her to keep her alive... even without a doctor. 

lundaylove

well i think all kids should see a doctor, whether its a typical family doctor, pedi, or something else as long as a child is seen and they know that child is in good health you know. i do think that the government should enforce this because there are too many ppl who dont take their kids and things like this example with the child dying is proof. its unfortunate but it happens and that should be stopped.

lapcounter
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I feel the government has their nose into too much personal business anyway. I feel it is up too the parent's to decide what is best for their child, not some other parent and definitely not the government!

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Well untill everyone in the US has medical ( like in Canada) then I dont think they have the right to say wether or not someone HAS TO be seen by a Dr.

on the other hand though religon or not a child should been seen by a  dr atleast for well visit check ups to make sure they are healthy.

sarahmarkus78
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting MissiHampt:

I think the government has too much control over our lives as it is, I don't want them telling me anything else that I have to do or can't do.

I do think that well child visits should be encouraged, but never forced.

christina0607
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM

We don't take our kids for well visits. I don't feel they are necessary at all. And I will be damned if soemone in a suit is going to tell me I have to.

I do find it funny though that you specifically single out "working" families as the ones who should bring their kids to the dr.s.

bellasmom32808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM

and people with that kind of rationale are the ones who will cause this type of legislation to go through. What if there is something wrong with your child that can be detected by a well child visit? Is it really that much of a hassle to take them?

Quoting christina0607:

We don't take our kids for well visits. I don't feel they are necessary at all. And I will be damned if soemone in a suit is going to tell me I have to.

I do find it funny though that you specifically single out "working" families as the ones who should bring their kids to the dr.s.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)