Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A broken DS I need Advice! UPDATE!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello everone I am sorry I have not been active on thisgroup for awhile.When this happened I couldn't think of a better way to figure it out then ask you all.

My daughter andher friend were playing outside with a nieghbor girl just the two of them outside.At lunchtime I had Magan come home and we made a quick run to Mc Ds.When I got home This girls mom comes up and said that wheen the girls were playing outside Magan Broke her daughters DS.I checked it out. Thier is like a smudge spot in the screen where graphics do not come through clearly.I told the mom i wanted to make it right but I am not sure how.I asked Magan she said she did bang it on the ground when she tried to get up and that could have done it but,she didn't know it was broken.

Well ladies what would you do?I will be checking every once in a while.

Ladies you rock!!!!! I never thought about repair.The DS was 1 month old and so I went over and asked for the serial number.I went to the DS website typed in the number it said the whole thing is under warrenty.The mom is gonna check it out and we will decide on an amount for a gamestop gift card.Thank you.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM

You should be able to find a local video game store that will repair it.  We have the best luck with the privately owne, non-chain type gaming stores.  Start calling them and see how much it would cost.  If your daughter knows she banged it, then she likely did damage it.  I would just do my best to make good on it. 

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM

If she did indeed break it and it has been established, then either replace it. 

I'm sure that's why the mom went up to you in the first place, otherwise, I don't think she would have bothered.

If you do replace it have them give you the old one. If it's still somewhat functional, Megan can use it instead.

This is why I don't like my kids to use someone elses electronic stuff. If it just so happens to get damaged when she has it, it's your responsibility.  It could have gotten damaged, regardless, of who used it but when the damage happened and who had it, is usually stuck making amends.

ALDmama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Thats not really an outside toy considering how expensive they are? I would ask the mom how old it is and be willing to pay for what its worth... They are expensive! But the only way to fix it is to replace it... Is it still useable? Sounds like it was an accident? As a parent I wouldn't let my kids play with that out and about and if someones child dropped it i wouldnt hold them responsible.. Its not like your daughter tossed it.. Just my thoughts good luck!

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Since it is just a smudge and the Ds is not really broken i would either get a gift certificate to Games stop or whatever store she likes to buy games from or offer to buy another one if the mom is not happy with the gift certificate idea.   I would ask how old the Ds is if she has had it awhile i would buy a used one from Game stop for 80 dollers. But if she just got it then i think replacing it with a new one  would be the right thing to do.

prestonjohn
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

most court shows i have seen with this problem they dont give give th amount to replace it new but to replace the same one and age at that time,,so say its 4 years old its only worth about 25 bucks

KaylasMiracle
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I have been through a broken screen with my son's DS before...if it's under a year old it costs like $25 to get it fixed THROUGH NINTENDO...if it is over that year...it will be more like $60 dollars including shipping at most. Thats alot better than a new or even used one. Yes she will be without it for a bit, but my son's was back in under 2 weeks...message me if you need more details...GOOD LUCK!

nikkiJ86
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Well you said that your daughter admitted to dropping it.So there are only 2 things you can do,replace it or repair it.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Yep, it would be based on value less depreciation but does that really fly between friends without having any hard feelings?? Let's face it, if the child hadn't dropped it, there would be no need for a replacement.

Quoting prestonjohn:

most court shows i have seen with this problem they dont give give th amount to replace it new but to replace the same one and age at that time,,so say its 4 years old its only worth about 25 bucks

mymakenna
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM

accidents happen...i know evertime i broke something at a friends house my parents werent expected to replace or repair it, unless it was like a window or somethin...intentional damage is one thing, unless she did it on purpose or out of spite, dont worry about it

myfoursonsks
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Some people are bound morally to make good on things that are their fault or their children's fault.  Even legally, we are still liable for damaging things even if it is an accident.  Accident or not, it isn't fair to the owner to damage their property and then say "Oh well, it was an accident...sucks to be you."

Quoting mymakenna:

accidents happen...i know evertime i broke something at a friends house my parents werent expected to replace or repair it, unless it was like a window or somethin...intentional damage is one thing, unless she did it on purpose or out of spite, dont worry about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)