Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Ready to WEAN!!! Need some advice

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello ladies

I am getting ready to wean my son- my pediatrician told me instead of just substituting with whole milk to give him toddler formula also for the added nutrients. Since I have primarily Breastfed my baby I am just a little unsure about giving him this substitute. Any thoughts or advice on this? Should I give him formula?

Also, how often should I be giving him cereal? I give him a bowl in the morning and one with his dinner also. I read somewhere that cereal is not needed the older babies get.

Any advice on toddler nutrition is welcome!!!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
IloveHayden08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM

well how old is your son

ProudMom7609
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM

He is 11 months and has eight teeth which he loves to bite me with-which is why I am weaning!

HybridMom27
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM
I've been in your shoes - but I found that there was a great technique to avoid being bitten: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html. Basically, my kids would bite when they were done, so I found if I kept my hand quite close, then when they were done and about to bite, I could unlatch them quickly. If they did bite, I would pull them in close, which forced their jaw to release, and then I would refuse to nurse any more that session. We hit this issue around 6 mo, but even then they were old enough to understand that we don't bite!

Here's a good article on methods of weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html

Hope this helps! We never did toddler formula - never saw the need plus it's pretty gross stuff - I just continued to nurse and then offered whole milk with meals after nursing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)