Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are poisoning our kids and dont even know it!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 96 Replies

Who would knowingly give there child our spouse or themselves for that matter formaldehyde?

No one. Well not any sane person that is.  But we are in everyday products. The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) which, by law, must be supplied to anyone who uses any chemical product in the workplace. It warns for the use of formaldehyde: "Suspected carcinogen; may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through the skin; causes burns; inhalation can cause spasms,edema,and chemical pneumonitis; extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membrane."

Yet manufacturers can put formaldehyde in shampoos and not list it as an ingredient! check out what else has formaldehyde in it but is NOT listed on the ingredients list:

baby shampoo

bubble bath

deodorants

perfume

cologne

hair dye

mouthwash

toothpaste

hair spray

and many other personal care items

We should all be outraged!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Luckily we don't eat any of that stuff.

~Jill~

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM

they dont list it because the amount, even in an extended amount of use, isnt enough to really do any damage

IloveHayden08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

cruzandmiasmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM

if your kids are anything like mine they TRY to. especially my 2yr old. she gets into everything

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to eat deoderant.. I doubt it tastes any good. lol.

Quoting jillbailey26:

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Then maybe you should keep that stuff out of her reach....?

Quoting cruzandmiasmom:

if your kids are anything like mine they TRY to. especially my 2yr old. she gets into everything

cruzandmiasmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM

You dont have to eat it to cause you harm it can be absorbed by the skin or inhaled to cause damage

jeweldog
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM

So what do you recommend we use instead?

Quoting cruzandmiasmom:

Who would knowingly give there child our spouse or themselves for that matter formaldehyde?

No one. Well not any sane person that is.  But we are in everyday products. The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) which, by law, must be supplied to anyone who uses any chemical product in the workplace. It warns for the use of formaldehyde: "Suspected carcinogen; may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through the skin; causes burns; inhalation can cause spasms,edema,and chemical pneumonitis; extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membrane."

Yet manufacturers can put formaldehyde in shampoos and not list it as an ingredient! check out what else has formaldehyde in it but is NOT listed on the ingredients list:

baby shampoo

bubble bath

deodorants

perfume

cologne

hair dye

mouthwash

toothpaste

hair spray

and many other personal care items

We should all be outraged!

meghan451
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Quoting jeweldog:

So what do you recommend we use instead?

Quoting cruzandmiasmom:

kngarber
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Right in the correct amounts.  None of the products have anywhere near enough to harm anyone.  Everyone has to stop buying into this hype.  If it's not one thing its another...my favorite post was about how we had to stop using toothpaste because we were all going to DIE!  If you are worried about it...stop using all of it.  Or get the all natural...or make your own.  I understand you are concerned about it and just trying to spread knowledge, but you should (for your own sanity) research it through a reliable source.

Quoting cruzandmiasmom:

You dont have to eat it to cause you harm it can be absorbed by the skin or inhaled to cause damage

Are you a single woman and a single mom?  If so please join our group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/singleallthewayaround

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)