• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 9 months old to young....

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 9 month old DD will no longer sleep in her crib. She will scream and cry to get out of it. I thought maybe she just didn't want to go to sleep yet ( naps or bed) but as soon as I take her out she is on the floor asleep. I have actually started making her a pallet on the floor next to the crib. When she seems good and asleep, I transfer her back into the crib , but she just wakes up and wants back out.

My question is .. is it too early to put her in a bed? I have one that is designed for young children. Its only about 2" off the floor, probably 4" with the mattress ( it doesn't need a box spring) I know I can get those mesh side things that attached to the bed, I have seen them that will fit and leave only a small section open at the foot end of the bed.

I guess I am just afraid of her not being secure ( emotionally or otherwise) in a bed. I just don't want her on the floor. That really bothers me.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Braxmommy14
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I'm not really sure ... I mean it sounds too young, but if she is secure ? Idk, heres a bump for ya ! Maybe its just a phase ?

BigOlMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I really have no advice for you! I think 9 months is too young for a bed, but I don't have any other suggestions either. Maybe you could call your ped for some input? Here's a bump for you anyway!

golther
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM

My neighbors had their dd in a toddler bed when she was like 8 months old I thought it was kind of crazy but if you think shes ready then why not give it a shot.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM

If she can climb in and our of a toddler bed and sleeps better in one then she isnt too young. just be sure to keep the side rails on so seh doesnt fall off...... you can even set some extra pillows on the floor just in case.

jridgill
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

At 9 months old my daughter climed out of her crib TWICE. I put her in a toddler bed with a baby gate at the door. She did fine! My son who is 9 month old has never slept in his crib :(

erin_suzy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM

You will have to make sure that her room is secure so that she does not crawl off in the middle of the night when you are sleeping. This would not work for my son (also 9 months) because he is so curious he would crawl off any chance he gets, I have tried napping him on the floor and in my bed. If I don't keep him "contained" in his crib he won't even sleep at all, he'll just wander around.

lundaylove
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

i think that at that age it would be fine to put her in a toddler bed. just make sure the room is babyproofed and you can put a gate at the door or shut the door completely. If she'll sleep better at night then its worth it, no sense in fighting to sleep in the crib.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I say go for it!  Just make sure there's nothing she can hurt herself on if she gets up by herself.  I switched my daughter to a toddler bed at 13 months because she hated her crib so much.  It worked wonders.  Good luck!

feralkitten
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM

nope my wee man sleept in his cot from 6 months at 9 months he could just be put in and he go to sleep he now nerly 12 months and stands on stuff trying to get out get her used to it now befor she get bigger

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)