• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 years old and saying "stupid" and "you are stupid" HELP!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 2.5 year old is calling everyone that gets in his way "stupid".  He is the youngest of 3 and anytime there is a problem, he is mad/sad, etc he calls someone stupid.  He even says it to me and my husband.  I've tried everything - ignoring it, timeouts, etc.  Nothing is working.  Any ideas?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MooNFaeRie30
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I would just keep reinforcing that it is wrong. Maybe every time he says it take away one of his toys for a certain length of time. I know that works with my 2 1/2 year old most of the time. Good luck!

sky375
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM
Name calling seems to be a phase they go through at that age. For my niece everyone and everything was " poop head". A lot less flattering than stupid. I would make sure that each time your LO say it you make sure he understands that it is not nice to call names and it hurts peoples feelings, but also think about the fact that he heard it from somewhere. Making sure no one else in the house say it will great reduce the thought that it is ok to say. Baring that, ignore it; if your child doesn't think you care about it they may stop.

HybridMom27
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Whenever my guys have said something like that, I tell them that that is not a nice word, it's not a word we use in our family - and I say that in a very firm voice. Then if it is repeated, it's an automatic time out. If it's repeated again, same. Over and over. He'll get the point.

The key is to do the SAME thing over and over again so that there's no question, if he says it, no matter where he is, he's going to go into time out and then have to apologize.

Currently, my 3 yr old is into saying "poopy diaper." He just progressed to it being an automatic time out (previously he'd get a warning). Not suprisingly, he's stopped. And if my oldest laughs, he also has to go into time out.

justgrape723
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM

well first of all he has to be hearing it from someone. Kids don't just come up with this stuff. Find out where it started and stop it from that point.

Second get down (kneel) to his eye level tell him "NOT OKAY" in a very firm (not yelling) voice and put his butt in time out for 2 minutes. Don't stop, keep doing it . It will take more than one or two times in time out. and make sure he is facing a wall or something where he does not get or give attention to or from others. You have to be firm and consistant and he has to know that you will always follow thru on his punishment 110% of the time.  Make sure the older kids do not laugh that only encourages the bad behavior. If the older kids to laugh and encourage it they should also go in time out

after a few of times he will get the idea and stop

you should also replace  the 'stupid' phrases with the proper ones....like excuse me please, I am mad at you etc etc

good luck

goog87
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM

He dosn't understand what the word "stupid" means,  so there is NO POINT in over-reacting. My son quotes his favorite Disney movie Cars and shouts "Turn on your lights, moron!" Over and over a million times a day. He doesn't know what it means, it's just a phrase he's heard. When someone says a curse word and he repeats it, I don't have a cow. There's no point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)