• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to go about helping my step daughter save her paycheck instead of buying other things

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

I need some advice on how to go about helping my step daughter and her husband save the pay check for bills and things of that nature instead of buying things like alcohol. She is 18, has a almost 15-month old and is very hard headed. Her mom, dad and I are all worried that her habits will affect the baby.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CSRodriguez
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM

unfortunately ya can't do much.     you can not give her a dime and maybe she will spend what she has appropriatley but   that is about it.

3armycuties
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I agree completely! The only time I would give them anything is if the baby needed something and then I would buy those items only so they don't get the money in their hands.

unfortunately ya can't do much.     you can not give her a dime and maybe she will spend what she has appropriatley but   that is about it.

charmgirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

good luck with that one. she has her own baby and is 18 now...she thinks shes all grown up now. give it time-she will see. she might have to fall flat on her face first, but it will hit her.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Well you need to sit her down and tell her that responsibilities come first and you and your family will not be there to help them when they need it ( financially ) if they do not spend wisely.If at 18 she wants to play grown up start a family and all that then she needs to be a grown up and realize bills and baby come before anything else. If they want to buy alcohol then someone needs to get a second job in order to afford the things they cant right now.

cmb121906
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

You cant do much. She is 18. At some point you have to let them make mistakes. If she cant understand that the Bills need to be paid before buyng crap .... then well let stuff be shut off. No one loan her money. If it gets bad and the baby is suffereing, call in CPS.

DVS
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Yall are all crazy because it is not too late to help. Simply take her checks and give her a little spending money. She is living in your house and if you have her mom and her dad on your side it will be easy.

I sent you a pm with the details from my experience.

bE dIfFeReNt Or DoN't Be!!!!!!!!!!

dosthepost
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Do you give her a place to live? Food?

If it were my daughter, personally, I'd tell her I'd support her son, but her... well, that's all up to her. If she can't manage to find a place to live and support her son on her own, I'd file for a temporary custody order to allow her to do so. She's 18 with a child... it's time for her to start taking care of her own shit. If she can't well, tough shit.

tinakenny
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM
18yr olds don't listen. They have to learn on their own. When my daughter turned 18 she thought she had all the damn answers. She would spend her money before she got it. Then she thought she would move out. It took her a year but she learned the hard way bill and rent came first. I didn't help her I just let her deal with it. Now she is 19 trying to get through school and work and has managed to put away 2thou in savings. So sorry I believe in letting them find out on their own. Once they are 18 no its not your responsibility anymore. That is why 18 is legal age for them. Now I agree if u see that your granchild needs diapers or formula then yes buy it. Don't give her the money.
Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Quoting DVS:

Yall are all crazy because it is not too late to help. Simply take her checks and give her a little spending money. She is living in your house and if you have her mom and her dad on your side it will be easy.

I sent you a pm with the details from my experience.

Yeah .......... ok. Who says she lives with the OP ?? Sometimes you have to let ppl MAKE mistakes to learn from them. She is 18 not 12 .....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)