• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

california rent/landlord issue...LONG

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  • 3 Replies

so three months ago i email my landlord about renting out the clubhouse...she wrote me back about it and then asked about re-newing our lease... i said we are expecting and the one bedroom apartment wasnt going to work i asked her if the lease was up in august (like i thought) or september. I had the lease and it said august 31st. but i thought id ask her so i didnt have to dig it out. she told me it was up july 31st and i emailed her back saying really? thats allot sooner then i expected. i asked her if she needed a 30 day notice. she said yes and then when i sent her one she said she didnt need it. so i was like um...ok. so i saved the emails in case i needed them later. I told hubby that we needed to find a new place because the lease was up sooner then we thought. yay because the area is crime ridden. anyways we decided to get a home through military housing with needing extra room it was worth it and there were rly nice ones.

so we signed a lease with housing and moved in just two weeks ago. that gave us time to move and get the apartment cleaned up so we could get our deposit or most of it back. the apartment was 900 a month and the place we are at now is 1500 a month. well july 31st is nearing and my old landlord called asking if we were re-newing our lease august 31st? well um...BIG PROBLEM! NO! and we thought it was up in july! i didnt have good signal and didnt answer her call but i fwd her emails about rent being up on the 31st of july. i havent heard back from her yet. But my question is are we screwed since our lease was up in August and thats the paper i signed? even tho she told me in writing that it was july 31st? and i even mentioned i thought it was up in august? there is no way i can pay rent next month and i dont know what happens to people when they cant pay rent. I have a baby due any day and this stressing out isnt helping me at all. what do i do???

%3

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Swt_Mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I dont really know sweetie cause you signed the lease that had the correct date thats what they are probably gonna go after, but you do have the email saying where she said july not august but thats not signed ya know..... with the rent usually you still have to pay for the month but maybe you can work it out and break it down in payments or something since you are no longer there Im sorry i dont think i was much of an help maybe someone else can

BabyJae
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM

you should of pointed out to correct date from the beg. I would try and talk to her, if she is ignoring you go up to the office and try and work something out.  You dont want to get screwed and have her go to court to fight you for the money you owe.good luck!

Arianas_mommy09
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

i probably should have pointed out the correct date. But i asked her first if it was up in august or september and she emailed back saying july 31st. and i emailed her right back saying thats sooner...i just re-read them and its just strange how she said we did need the 30 day then i sent it to her and then she said no i dont need a 30 day...the emails are all linked together in the order they were sent it makes no sence even still

pregnancy week by week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)