• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This has to be the stupidest question ever,but....

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM
  • 24 Replies

For college,how do credits work? Meaning what is a credit? Does one credit equal one class or what?Please don't laugh at my stupid question.I was afraid to ask the people at the school because I didn't want to look stupid.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Typically I believe one finished semester of a class is one credit but it can very! Sometimes you have to take two semesters to get the 1 credit it all depends on the class!!

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding "Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

Alison_C
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM

A class is worth so many credits, usually 3 (I think). You need so many credits to graduate. Does that help?

sarahmarkus78
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Most degrees require a certian number of credit to graduate with a perticular degree. Like say teaching you might need 124 credits. Each class is assigned so many credits, usually determined by the number of hours the class is each week...like a math class might be 3 credits, because you meet m-w-f for one hour. Does that help?

swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

All the classes I've taken have been 3-4 credits per class.

QTMakaylasMom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Different courses = different numbers of credits. For instance, I'm in nursing school...one class is 8 credits because that includes lecture, conference and clinicals. Other classes may have 1-3 credits. You need a certain number of credits to graduate depending on what program you're in. HTH

illiana707
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I will try. Credits dictate the "work" of the class and also how much its going to cost you. They generally range from 1-5 credits per class with the standard college class being around 4. For instance a one day a week class may be worth one credit while a standard three day a week class will be four credits. Full time in college is usually considered  someone taking 12 credits +. Also a degree will have a minimum credit requirement say 95 for an associates. The cost of a class is also by credits say $90 per credit. HTH.

BeachMomma424
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Typically you need a certain amount of credits to obtain a degree or certificate- you should look it up and it may be different depending on the degree and school - usually each class will earn you 3 credits - a college may also use credits as a way of pricing - so for example if it is $100 per credit and you are taking a 3 credit class that class will cost you $300 (plus books, which i personally recommend trying to find used ones on the internet you will save yourself a TON of money just make sure it is the same edition) - this is more typical in a community college or certificate program...I would go to your schools website and look up tuition and it should give you how that particular school charges - good luck - p.s. i didnt think your question was stupid how would you know if you never had to before! :)

CafeMom Tickers

TLVS
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

When I went to college.  1 class was worth 3 credits, except for a few that were worth 2 credits.  I needed something like 120 or more credits to graduate, but that was a 4 year college.  Colleges usually charge you by the credit hour.  So, if you are taking 4 classes, then they would charge you for 12 credit hours.  

junecrab
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM

you have gotten some good answers.

There is Never a Stupid question.....

smile on, teri

junecrab

Peace starts with a Smile.....Bitches!

tr83angel
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

To put it as simply as I can:  Each degree requires a certain # of credits in each area of study. So you may need 27 credits in science classes. Each class is worth a certain amount of credits. So if each class is worth 3 credits youll need to take 9 science classes to meet that. I hope this all makes sense! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)