• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have any of you experienced this?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

I feel like a perpetual student.

I accomplish something, become certified in it, then I get bored and want to try something else.

I don't always feel 'accomplished' because I am not always happy with what I have decided to do with my life.

I have never felt sated.

Anyone else experience this?

Does motherhood change that?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM

All I've ever wanted to be was a mother so I don't have experience with wanting to do different things.  I can tell you that motherhood isn't boring in the least.  Its always changing as your child grows.

AmelieH
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:49 PM

no, motherhood does not change that.  Being a mother doesn't define who you are, it only adds a beautiful aspect to your identity.  If you are not happy with the variety of career paths you have chosen, becoming a mother will not help or hinder that.  It is completely separate. 

But I bet you will never become tired of being a mom :)  It's a lot of fun. 

Seven07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM

You sound just like me.  I have had so many different careers... ranging in tech support to sales to marketing and now persoanl training and owning my own business.  I've looked into schooling for interior design and helicopter piloting as well (which I'm still planning to get my pilot liscense, just maybe on a cessna).  No, parenting doesn't quell this.  Working in the field of fitness of which I'm very passionate about has helped slow me down and keep my interest, but I still really want to branch out and do more things.  I don't find it as a problem, well before I started persoanl training I felt as though I was a jackie of all trades, master of some.  :)

purrtymommie
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up! And I'm a grown up. Having my children hasn't done anything to change that. I know I don't want to be a SAHM though, just not for me.

Loved4Sure
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I can't determine if it is change I crave or knowledge. I can tell you I have never liked anything enough to pursue my masters in it.

The one thing I loved the most didn't pay well enough, fast enough.

I am not worried about being bored as amother in the least. I am sure it will prove to be my biggest challenge yet.

I am scared I will need more. I don't like that.

Quoting Seven07:

You sound just like me.  I have had so many different careers... ranging in tech support to sales to marketing and now persoanl training and owning my own business.  I've looked into schooling for interior design and helicopter piloting as well (which I'm still planning to get my pilot liscense, just maybe on a cessna).  No, parenting doesn't quell this.  Working in the field of fitness of which I'm very passionate about has helped slow me down and keep my interest, but I still really want to branch out and do more things.  I don't find it as a problem, well before I started persoanl training I felt as though I was a jackie of all trades, master of some.  :)

Seven07
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I crave knowledge.  I know this.  If I read a book or come upon a situation or even a post and someone mentions something I don't know.. I research it.  I am happiest in school.  English classes offer the most diversity in research topics.. did I mention I was also interested in journalism?  :)

If doing what you love doesn't pay the bills, try to rework it into your life in another way.  It would be nice if we could all do what we love as a career, but yea, that's not always realistic in this economy.

There's no doubt that you will stay fully engaged as a mother.. and at first you will have that to hold your interest elsewhere in life because you will be more focused on that than anything else.         I don't think the disinterest or addiction to knowledge is a bad thing... and it will help you be a better mother.  I go off of instinct a lot, but I also research and seek professional expertise on an issue I feel I don't know enough about and I'm confident that I'm being the best mother I can possibly be.  And like some of the other posts, it is ok and healthy to have a life outside of being a mom, having interests and diverse knowledge will also make you a better role model.

The good thing is you don't have to repay student loans while enrolled... and if you're the only one on the promissary note, the loans die with you.  I am hoping to be a lifelong student.  :)  Well, that's a dream I have.

Quoting Loved4Sure:

I can't determine if it is change I crave or knowledge. I can tell you I have never liked anything enough to pursue my masters in it.

The one thing I loved the most didn't pay well enough, fast enough.

I am not worried about being bored as amother in the least. I am sure it will prove to be my biggest challenge yet.

I am scared I will need more. I don't like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)