Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Six year old cant pronounce the "sp" sound...do you think she needs speech?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter cant pronounce the "sp" sound at all, really. If she tries to say spongebob it's fungebob or special if fecial instead. All of her "sp"s are replaced with "f". Also she still says "her" where she should be saying "she". Otherwise she talks great. She went to pre- k last year and they do offer speech there, but her teacher never suggested that she have speech (and there were several other kids in her class that the teacher did put in speech). So, basically I'm wondering if these are just typical things that 6 year olds have a hard time with or if we should be looking into speech therapy??? Anyone have kids that have a hard time with these particular things? Thanks! 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommyJanice44
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I would differently get her into speech therapy , I am surprised well no I am not with the school not doing anything . Most definitely she needs an OT .. GOOD LUCK , in trying to get one for her . Fight for one if you have to if they say she doesn't qualify for it .. Push them until they do ...

fakeitg00d
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM

my uncle used to not be able to make the st sound and his name was steven so my mom used to joke him and ask him what his name was. thats not any help but you made me think of it

[4.10.08]forever and ever

my life my way, tips and tricks i've learned along the way

USMCBride08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM

as a speech therapy girl :) i would say yes. I had tons of issues (couldnt say sh/th/st/etc) and im so grateful i was sent to speech :) its not an odd or bad thing to do anymore :) 

daisynmollysmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Thanks Girls!

proudgrammie07
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Funny thing you ask. I have a really good friend that is a speech therapist and he was saying that those syllables are the last to really come through-around 7-8 yrs old. You can diffenetly get her checked and personally I would but also know that there are others that are in the same boat. :-)

othermom
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I would get her check out to be sure, but some kids learn diffrent sounds later. My son was in speach for alomst 2 years because of articlation problems and graduated last year. He still has a few issues, but he got all the age appropriate sounds so he was able to leave. It is worth checking out though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)