Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

little guy won't eat...... HELP

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DS will be six months next week. He is a big boy and was 16lbs at 4mo. His pediatrician told me to start him on solids at our 4mo appt. I started with rice cereal and then veggies and recently tried him on some fruit. I did one food a week and boy does he love it. However, since he has really started teething he wont take his bottle. He'll only drink like 2-3 oz at a time but when its time for the solid feeding of the day he will eat the whole 1st foods jar.

My question is, is this normal and just due to his teething or should I start giving him more solids or what. I'm calling the pediatrician to talk to them tomorrow but I just wanted to see if any other moms went through this with their kids. Any help would be great. Thanks

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanielleK21
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I did the same thing with my dd and she wanted more food than formula too. Im sure every thing is fine as long as he still is pooping and peeing. good luck 

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Yeah I would say give him the whole jar.  The last thing you want is a teething hungry baby.  I think the sucking of the bottle hurts when they're teething.  My 6 mos old was eating two 1st foods jars each at lunch and dinner. 

abjones00
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Oh that makes me feel better. He only gets cereal in the morning and 1 jar at dinner so if I add a jar at lunch that would be ok.  I mean he still gets formula and will drink it sometimes its just some days are worse than others.

Quoting raleighmom:

Yeah I would say give him the whole jar.  The last thing you want is a teething hungry baby.  I think the sucking of the bottle hurts when they're teething.  My 6 mos old was eating two 1st foods jars each at lunch and dinner. 

CafeMom Tickers
tyfry7496
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Give him more solids. At that age my son had cereal and fruit at breakfast, veggie and fruit at lunch and dinner. He had bottles of formula for snacks and before bed. I gave him sippy cups of water, juice or formula at meals.

Sp1988
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

My son was the same way.  He wasnt interested in nursing much anymore. I never did 1st foods because the jars are smaller and you get the exact same thing in 2nd foods just a bigger jar.  At 7 months he started on gerber graduates.  I couldnt believe he could already eat them, but he was and he's a happy healthy boy. Good luck :)

Braxmommy14
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:40 PM

It would probably be okay to give him more solids ... but from my understanding baby food carries little fat/calories. So they get the majority that they need from breast milk/formula not to mention the nutrition. So I would just talk to your pediatrician about it and see what they suggest. I mean you obviously can't force him to drink it, but I think 6 months is too little to be cutting back that much ?

rkoloms
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Robin in Chicago

tobyoneknoby
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM

That is fine. Give him more solids. To try tokeep the liquids up, you could try to give him a sippy cup.

go_romanovs
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

up until 12 months their little bodies are not able to digest grown up food. It should be introduced, but only for play and learning. The main sourse of nutriotion the whole 1st year should be breast milk or formula.

I make slings, what's your superpower?

abjones00
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM

which is why they make baby food in jars. I have never given my son any "grown up food." Most babies start jar food around 6 months. My guy started showing signs early. Now he pushes his bottle away and if I hand him a spoon starts putting it in his mouth. Judging by his signs I think it would be ok to give him more solids. Pediatrician agrees. BTW everything that is written about when to give babies what is just an estimate. Every child grows and develops differently. Some babies bodies are ready for "grown up" food before they are a year old.

Here he is with his spoon so cute.

Quoting go_romanovs:

up until 12 months their little bodies are not able to digest grown up food. It should be introduced, but only for play and learning. The main sourse of nutriotion the whole 1st year should be breast milk or formula.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)