Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tantrums in public

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

k so my dd threw her first tantrum in public 2day while i was at the docters threw raisins everywhere threw her self on the floor screaming all cause i told her no i honestly didnt know what to do and everytime i tried to get her to stop she just went nuts n e body have ne advice for dealing with tantrums in public

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bstormsfl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I have a 16 year old who is normal and a 9 year old who has autism. Anyway the 16 year old would have them in public and I took him to the bathroom and had a nice little talk with him. From then on out all it took for me to say at the start of a tantrum with him was "Do we need to visit the bathroom?" And the tantrum would stop. My 9 year old on the other hand has meltdowns quite frequently and you never know what is going to set him off. I try to handle him the best I can and Im not saying I play favortizm (sp) but I cant handle him the same way I did my oldest. WHIM?

RheaF
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Honest;y? I have always just ignored them. MY DD Could always throw a good one. I turn my back and wait for her to stop. They are looking for that attention, and whn you give it, it just reinforces the behavior. And they will continue o do it.

Whisper85
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I ignore the bad behavior as well. It stops pretty quickly. Ignore the bad reward the good :)

Quoting RheaF:

Honest;y? I have always just ignored them. MY DD Could always throw a good one. I turn my back and wait for her to stop. They are looking for that attention, and whn you give it, it just reinforces the behavior. And they will continue o do it.

Photobucket

I'm due in November. We don't know what it is yet. NO you can't touch my belly. Have a nice day!

Braxmommy14
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My son who is 18  months old has a very strong temper and lets it be known ! Sometimes its 30 seconds other times it can go on for 20 min ! It can be extremely embarrassing. I try to pull him aside or out of the vicinity, to let him cool down ... at this age, talking doesn't work for him, he will just scream louder. I will try a distraction and if all else fails, we leave. All kids and their temperament are different, so you just have to figure out what works for them/you. But all in all, when it does happen, try not to worry about what other people are thinking, I know its hard. But if they have children more then likely, they've been there at least once before.

2murphyboys
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM

give her a hug. say things like i know it's hard. but don't give in to whatever set her off. i did the ignore the behavior one and it only worked the first couple times. then they would just scream louder and longer upwards of almost an hour.

goog87
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I deal with them in public and private the same way. Time Out at my house is in the bathroom. If DS freaks out in public, he goes in Time Out there, too. Time out ALWAYS makes him calm down.

Taide
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I have a 17 month old boy and yes he does this to me alot lately. I think its at the age where they start testing you. I usually ignore him at home. But when we are out I have the same problem. I can't ignore him when everyone is looking at me like your kid needs attention. Maybe that's just how I feel. I usually try to calm him down and I leave if we need to. Then I have a little talk with him on how he can not act that way. He still doesn't understand me. But I think eventually it will sink it. Best of luck and know that alot of us feel your pain.

Taide

savers4mom74
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I am dealing with that too. I finally stopped it by taking her out of the store we were in because she wanted something and i said"no" so she threw herself on the floor kicking and screaming we went out of the store into  the car for a few minutes til she  stopped kicking and screaming. I had my husband get our things in the store and we left and went home. I told her everytime she does a tantrum like that i will take her home and she will have a timeout or i will take her favorite things away until she gets better. Next time she did it i said OK, if you throw a fit again its timeout at home. She was a so good from that day on.

love you sign

SxyPanamami83
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:47 AM

i would give her a good old whoppin right there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)