Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help christian moms....

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay, so I'm supposed to have my 5 week old son christened at church on Sunday. And I know they're supposed to wear all white or something. But I have so many bills to pay on the first of the month that  I don't think I can get him an all white outfit to christen him in. So I guess my question is.............Is it necessary for your infant to wear white or can they just wear anything to get christened? Also, how old do they have to be to get christened?

* The reason why I'm asking about how old they have to be is because if I can wait until he is 8 months old then that would be great. Because his father is deployed and won't be back until he is 8 months old and he would really like to be here for his christening. But my very religious cousin told me I shouldn't wait that long.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 PM

We didn't do a Christening, but here's a bump for you.

~Jill~

bonkersornuts
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Are you Catholic? If not you can do a baby dedication and he can wear whatever you want him too.

Kiki7808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM

No i dont think so. i have seen some baby do it naked but like wrapped in a blanket.

hannahsmommy321
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM

not sure my dd is 3 and she was dedicated when she was a month old not christened but she wore my sisters white baptizm gown only cause i wanted her too but really i think depending what you are doing usually when they get baptized they wear all white

runner31
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM

we just had two little babies christened at our church and neither of them wore wearing white, just their really nice cute little outfits, we're Baptist btw

VerucaSallt
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM

You should be asking your church this.

These things very from denomination to denomination.

The symbolism of the white gown is that the original sin has been wiped away and the soul is now clean and the white is an outward representation of within.

So obviously if you're dealing with a church that doesn't care so much about symbolism you should probably be fine.

Welcome to the winning team, little man!  lol

I am an "I don't summarize my parenting style in a paragraph because it's none of your business" mom of 3.

rkoloms
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I am not Christian, but I do believe that G-d doesn't care about what we wear.

Robin in Chicago

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Let him wear whatever you want him to wear.  A light blue would be perfect.  We had the same problem but went to Burgondy Coat Factory and found a great suit for my 6 month old son at $25 in ivory color.

robinverm
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM
I am not sure but if money if a problem I would go to goodwill or something or have a family member make an outfit. White is a symbol for purity that's why a woman wears it when she is married. I would also ask other family members if they have an outfit handed down generations and generations for your child to wear. I am not sure about the age of the child or if it matters that I would ask your minister or priest.
Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I am pretty sure you can have them wear what ever you want. DD is 3 and we have never had her Christaned. You can do it when ever you wish to hun. If you want to wait till your SO is home then  i would wait. Make it a special occasion !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)