Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My friend and I are flying and she is 7 1/2 mo pregnant, I'm nervous!!!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My close friend and I are flying to Alabama tomorrow for a seminar for work. She is due at the end of September. She has clearance from her doctor and is having a very health pregancy. She isn't worried because she said she is with me. I love the medical field and love to read about it. I have a lot of knowledge, however, I'm not a doctor. I'm very cool and collective around her and about the flight, however, I'm very nervous. I want her to be as comfortable as possible. 

Is there any mom's out there that flew while pregnant? We will only be in the plane for about an 1 on the first flight, then we transfer and we'll be on the plane another 2 hours or so.

Thanks for any advise. I just want to be prepared.

Cindy 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
faithfulmomof1
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM

The suggest on not siiting for to long in one place and to make sure to get up and walk to prevent blood clotting in legs

I love to edit  photos and make siggys,  PM me some pics and what you want on it and I will make you more then one to choose from. 

mom-lovingit
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I flew on a 3hr flight in my 7th month- doc said I was right on the cut-off for not recommending to fly.  It was fine, walk around a bit if it's a longer flight, or pump your feet up and down to prevent cramps and blood clots.  Go potty as soon as the flight is up and try to go before the nad rush at the end because the toilets are so small and towards the end of the flight they can get nasty.  Believe me when you are touching every wall with your stomach it's not the greatest experience, but you do what you must lol!  Make sure you drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated.  Also, for the road, hotel's are the best places to pee vs gas stations! :o)  Hope you have a good flight!

jennileigh79
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM

I am due Sept. 3rd and have flown twice in the past month. My doc cleared me to go; she said it was perfectly fine since I have had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

I had no problems on the flights, 1 1/2 hours and 3 hours. I did stand to stretch my legs and back a few times, but no big deal.

The harder part was all the walking, up hill-down hill-up stairs-down stairs and pulling my big luggage bag in the airport and to our destinations. Both trips were work related so no hubby to do all the heavy lifting :)

goog87
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I flew a bunch off times while I was pregnant. What's the big deal?

tiffanysgirls
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM
Quoting goog87:

The big deal is that 1) pre-term labor is always a possibility. And since a plane can't just land anywhere...there is a possibility of having a baby early without anyone (knowledgable) there to assist. Well, unless you happen to have a doctor aboard the flight. 2) Obviously if you are flying then you will be several hundred miles away from the doctor who has been monitoring you, knows your health history, ect. You might even be out of your health insurance zone.

They use to tell women that the change in pressure could make them go into labor but that is an old wives tale.
PandTsmomjuly
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM

In the later stages of pregnancy, the pressurization in the plane can cause premature labor. Women with certain high risk factors are also not allowed to fly.

Doctors also recommend taking a copy of records if you travel during your third trimester in case of early labor.

I was 8 months pregnant and did a marathon driving session to see my hubby graduate Basic. It wasn't comfortable. Doc said it was OK, but he'd rather I didn't go. Gave me a copy of my records for fee when tey usually charge $15.

Quoting goog87:

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Quoting tiffanysgirls:

Quoting goog87:

The big deal is that 1) pre-term labor is always a possibility. And since a plane can't just land anywhere...there is a possibility of having a baby early without anyone (knowledgable) there to assist. Well, unless you happen to have a doctor aboard the flight. 2) Obviously if you are flying then you will be several hundred miles away from the doctor who has been monitoring you, knows your health history, ect. You might even be out of your health insurance zone.

They use to tell women that the change in pressure could make them go into labor but that is an old wives tale.

Is it? That's why I drove to hubby's basic grad. Doc said that it wasn't safe on the plane because of it. Of course, this was a couple years ago too.

RituS
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I flew from India to US when i was almost 71/2 months pregnant. This is 24 hr travel with 2hr break in between. so don't worry and  as everyone said

Drink lot of water

walk

and keep the copy of your records with you

some phone nos in the destination ready

and ALL THE BEST

PandTsmomjuly
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Another thing my doc suggested was know where the hospital was and how to get there from where I was staying and to contact a local OB and tell them how far along I was, when I was coming in, and how long I was staying.

Quoting RituS:

I flew from India to US when i was almost 71/2 months pregnant. This is 24 hr travel with 2hr break in between. so don't worry and  as everyone said

Drink lot of water

walk

and keep the copy of your records with you

some phone nos in the destination ready

and ALL THE BEST

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)