Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, I am posting because I have a son that just turned one on the 8th of this month that isnt sleeping through the night. He was sleeping through the night from 2 months - 5.5 months but since then he has been waking up 1-2 times a night. Now, mostly every night he will wake up and will not want to go back to sleep for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Right now he is awake and he will not settle down. He wont lay down.. he has had a 5 oz bottle so I know he is not hungry.. he has his favorite blankie in his crib with him and his soothie toy also. I usually rub his back and that will help to calm him down but not tonight. Any moms that have advice to help me keep him sleeping through the night please post. Any advice WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you soo  much!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LadyHyacinth
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:35 AM

There are a lot of things that could cause this. Do you work outside the home? If so what has the babysitter changed if anything such as letting him sleep too much?

Is he fussy when he wakes up? Possible ear ache problem or teething?

Is he too warm?

The list goes on as to possibilities. I would have him checked out by your pediatrician then take a closer look at what is going on with his environment that might be causing this.

Good luck

Mom2Bray
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:03 AM

He does not see a babysitter.. I do not work. I am a SAHM. He takes 2 naps during the day.. one is 1.5 hours & the secound is an hour. I do believe he is teething but I don't think he  has an ear infection. I have a fan running because he is a warm child..  I dont think he would be too warm either. We've moved to a different house but we've been here 3 weeks.. do you think it will take longer than 3 weeks for him to be adjusted? Does anyone have an suggestions on what I can try?

Quoting LadyHyacinth:

There are a lot of things that could cause this. Do you work outside the home? If so what has the babysitter changed if anything such as letting him sleep too much?

Is he fussy when he wakes up? Possible ear ache problem or teething?

Is he too warm?

The list goes on as to possibilities. I would have him checked out by your pediatrician then take a closer look at what is going on with his environment that might be causing this.

Good luck

chelsie_lyn
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM

You can use the winding down method. play for a while after dinner bathe him maybe give him a little bit of oatmeal (a full belly helps sleep) but its also very important not to let him eat any thing heavy (meat, and dinner foods and stuff like that) b4 bed.

What time do you put him to bed and about what times does he get up?

Mom2Bray
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:28 AM

He is normally in bed at around 10 pm. He wakes up once or twice in the  middle of the night for a bottle.. which I am trying to cut that out as well. He will wake up around 130 for a bottle and then around 5 am again. Then he is up again around 9-10 am for good until nap time.

Quoting chelsie_lyn:

You can use the winding down method. play for a while after dinner bathe him maybe give him a little bit of oatmeal (a full belly helps sleep) but its also very important not to let him eat any thing heavy (meat, and dinner foods and stuff like that) b4 bed.

What time do you put him to bed and about what times does he get up?

chelsie_lyn
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:37 AM

how about trying some oatmeal b4 bed time? Hes one and should probably be able to go without a bottle through the night..

. But then again all babies are diffrent. my dd weaned her self from the bottle at 9 1/2 - 10 months b/c she liked the soft spout sippys (THEY ARE WONDERFUL lol)|
Cheznie has been sleeping through the night every night without a bottle or cup (we may get one here and there) since about 4 -5 months old...

So maybe try some oatmeal b4 bed. or beachnut makes this good night cereal its wheat (so its really healthy) plus it has like 'raisins' in it they are what i like to call babyfied lol (if he has had fruit from gerber or beechnut than chances are he has already been exposed to grapes b/c most of it is packaged in white grape juice) so you shouldnt have to worry about allergic reactions. i say give the cereal and a nice warm bath a try! i also like to use 'bed time lotion' by johnson and johnson on her.

LadyHyacinth
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM

Maybe drop the second nap?Are you feeding him anything with sugar in it too close to bed time? Some of  the baby cookies have a lot of sugar in them.

I can't really think of anything else. Pediatrician would be a good idea to rule out health issues. Too bad he can't just tell you what is waking him up. Very frustrating I'm sure.

Mom2Bray
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Ahh.. you have some really good suggestions although I've tried the soft spout sippies and he just chews on them and throws it! Ugh! I will try the oatmeal before bed thing.. I know full tummies help for sleeping better.. & Im sure he would love a  bath before bed too. I cant use the bedtime lotion because he has sensitive skin and breaks out from it.. I wish there was a hypoallergenic one cause Ive been told by soo many people that it really does work. Thanks for your advice mama.. & I hope it works! He is 1.. and I think he should be bottleless & sleeping through the night. =]

Quoting chelsie_lyn:

how about trying some oatmeal b4 bed time? Hes one and should probably be able to go without a bottle through the night..

. But then again all babies are diffrent. my dd weaned her self from the bottle at 9 1/2 - 10 months b/c she liked the soft spout sippys (THEY ARE WONDERFUL lol)|
Cheznie has been sleeping through the night every night without a bottle or cup (we may get one here and there) since about 4 -5 months old...

So maybe try some oatmeal b4 bed. or beachnut makes this good night cereal its wheat (so its really healthy) plus it has like 'raisins' in it they are what i like to call babyfied lol (if he has had fruit from gerber or beechnut than chances are he has already been exposed to grapes b/c most of it is packaged in white grape juice) so you shouldnt have to worry about allergic reactions. i say give the cereal and a nice warm bath a try! i also like to use 'bed time lotion' by johnson and johnson on her.

Mom2Bray
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:45 AM

I normally give him plain animal crackers to munch on as a bedtime snack but other than that I dont think I give him anything with too much sugar in it. I do need to cut him down on his juice intake.. & I think I will start to take juice away from his after six and only give him water. Im going to have to sit down and write down a list of possibilities. Things I may be doing wrong.. and see what happens from there. It's just so frustrating when I dont know whats wrong with my poor little baby. He wakes up but is still soooo tired!

Thanks for your help too mama.. =]

Quoting LadyHyacinth:

Maybe drop the second nap?Are you feeding him anything with sugar in it too close to bed time? Some of  the baby cookies have a lot of sugar in them.

I can't really think of anything else. Pediatrician would be a good idea to rule out health issues. Too bad he can't just tell you what is waking him up. Very frustrating I'm sure.

tanya_marieh
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM

you can put a drop of lavender oil in his bath ( only a drop since he has sensitive skin)  and that should do the same thing as the lotion.  My dd has been waking in the night lately but she has been getting more teeth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)