Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is too much? ....Bleeding after IUD insertion

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

I got the copper T IUD in on Monday morning... Im still bleeding, its more than just spotting. Its like a moderate to heavy period for me. Is this normal? and also can it make you start your period?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
newmom0508
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM

anyone?

MAXnBRYCESmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I had Mirena put it and it jump started my period. I had bleeding for about 5 or 6 days. That is normal.

~Annie~

OliviasMom0306
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Bleeding with an IUD is normal.  I have the Mirena(however ya spell it, LOL) inserted Feb of '08.  I bleed for a month(some seemed like a period, others was like spotting) but my cervix also have to be stretched to have it inserted.  The doctor told me you can actually bleed anywhere from the first 3-6 months, not consistenly but 5 out of 7 days of the week.  It's takes your body awhile to get use to it.  Watch for any clots, and just keep an eye on it, alongs it isn't heavier than your normal period for an extended period of time you should be ok.

Call you doc if you are still uncomfortable about it, or you can call a plan parenthood type facility I'm sure they'd be happy to give you more information about it

newmom0508
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Quoting OliviasMom0306:

Bleeding with an IUD is normal.  I have the Mirena(however ya spell it, LOL) inserted Feb of '08.  I bleed for a month(some seemed like a period, others was like spotting) but my cervix also have to be stretched to have it inserted.  The doctor told me you can actually bleed anywhere from the first 3-6 months, not consistenly but 5 out of 7 days of the week.  It's takes your body awhile to get use to it.  Watch for any clots, and just keep an eye on it, alongs it isn't heavier than your normal period for an extended period of time you should be ok.

Call you doc if you are still uncomfortable about it, or you can call a plan parenthood type facility I'm sure they'd be happy to give you more information about it

ok yeah, my servix had to be stretched too... so maybe that is why

xraymomof2
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Hello,

I had the Copper IUD Inserted about two years ago. I had heavy bleeding and even throbbing.  It is a foreign object in place so everyones body is going to react differently.  I actually pushed mine out,  so $500.00 down the drain it only lasted about a year.  My midwife felt horrible but it wasn't her fault is was just how my body reacted to it.  Besides that is was great, never having to worry about anything.  I acutally had a sex drive to with it because it emits no hormones.

I would give it at least two weeks to regulate your body.  Any bleeding after that and contact your dr.  But I'm sure it is normal.

Good Luck,

NancyJo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)