Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I over-step????/

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM
  • 16 Replies
Last night DH and I went out in the front to watch the meteor shower (and OMG, was it awesome or what????). We couldn't see in the backyard because of all the trees in the direction we should be looking. Our neighborhood is rural-ish and we all have big lots (3-5 acres) so the houses are not close at all BUT along our driveway is another driveway to a house way behind us... where there was a party going on. The kids (17 and 18... I know this for a fact) were lined up all the way to our house and getting out of their cars carrying LOTS of booze. The music was the house (600 feet or more away) was shaking MY house. Finally, I said to a kid who tried to pull in MY driveway to tell Nate to kill the music or I was calling the cops and his father. Nate came up, drunk as all get out, but promised to be quieter. A few minutes later his mom pulls in (the parents are in the middle of a divorce and she lives there) with her 11 year old daughter and 13 year old niece in the car and she was BOMBED (she drinks and has a vicodin problem, hence the break-up of the marriage) I guess Nate called her to biotch about me complaining so she accused DH and I of sitting in the driveway to copy license plates of hr sons friends and turn them in. We explained we were watching the shower and she sped down the drive way, dropped the girls off.. .with all those DRUNK teenagers, and sped back out again, onto the high... swerving. I called her husband on his cell and told him what was going on... he was there in 10 minutes, broke up the party, took the girls to his parents house, and called the cops to get her picked-up for DUI.... she never came home last night, so I am assuming she got picked up... Dh thinks I overstepped... Did I? Or did I save some people from making bad choices and hurting themselves or others?

kids-have-my-heart.gif 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilrockerMama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I think what you did was right. No worries about it even if maybe it wasn't right, it's over and done with. I think what you did was good, and I would have done the same thing. Good job! =)

knoxmomof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I think you did the right thing... first, they were impeding on your property and being way too loud, second there was underage drinking and third, the MOTHER was DWI. Also, it sounds like the DH was more than wanting to take over and do the right thing by his kids, so.... I think you were well within your rights as a neighbor.

DKVmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I personally think you did the right thing. No one needs to be driving like that.

devlinCEO
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM

With the 11 and 13 year olds involved I dont think you over stepped at all.  I believe that for the good of children its everyone responsibility.  You did what was best for the kids because no one else in the situation cared.  I think you deserve a pat on the back.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM

No! It's not just about her, it's about all of the other innocent people on the road.

I can't count the number of times I called in to report my own mother. Not only was I worried she would get killed, but she had already nearly killed a man and his children a few years before. Thankfully she no longer has her license but I would call on ANYONE I knew was intoxicated.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

jillbailey26
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM

No, it became a safety issue for many people and a liability for the father.  I think you did the right thing. 

*God may delay, but is never departed*

My2J.A.P.s
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Good heavens, NOT AT ALL!  Good for you for not looking the other way!  You very likely saved a life.   

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM

You could have just called the cops and then no one would have known. I think you tried to call the dh because you did not want to cause problems like that for them.

Was the dh at home with the party? That is the part I don't get. {;us dropping the samll girls with a tennage party is insane. I'm sure anything could happen to them there.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM
The DH is living about 3 miles from here at his parents house... he left his wife over her problems...

Quoting Mamamanic:

You could have just called the cops and then no one would have known. I think you tried to call the dh because you did not want to cause problems like that for them.

Was the dh at home with the party? That is the part I don't get. {;us dropping the samll girls with a tennage party is insane. I'm sure anything could happen to them there.

kids-have-my-heart.gif 

swizzlefiz
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

You did good .... someone has to watch out for those kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)