Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about Head Start?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

Ok so my daughter will be 3 in Feb and I am trying to put her on the list for Head Start.  Now I did not know the waiting list was so long my god it might be 6 or 7 months before she can go in. They told me I need medical and dental forms to be filled out. Does anyone knows what forms are those, my daughter is not due to get shots until 4 again.? How do u feel about Head Start in general? Is that like a pre-school program also? Do you think the people are qaulified to take care of this kids? I live in NYC. Thanks

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Head start is for kids that are "behind" in there learning,,if your kid tests high the odds are she wont get in anytime soon or ever,,,its is to get the kids that are behind up to par for when they actually start school

mom223
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Quoting prestonjohn:

Head start is for kids that are "behind" in there learning,,if your kid tests high the odds are she wont get in anytime soon or ever,,,its is to get the kids that are behind up to par for when they actually start school

I thought Head Start was a program for low income families, I have never heard of it as a "behind" program but maybe where u live it is. Here in NYC is a low income program but i see is a a daycare just for bigger kids lol.

christina0607
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I don't have much of an opinion on head start...it's just not something I would ahve used. Personally I would never put a child that young in a 5 day program(the head starts here are 5 day programs). I don't mind doing preschool for my children the year before they go to K...but I will only do a 2 half day program.

squidsmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I think it's generally for children in low income families AND who are behind. I, personally wouldn't put my children in head start, but that's just me. I don't do daycare, either. I prefer to be able to raise my children, which I understand isn't always the case in homes. Anyway, I know kids in headstart and they are getting caught up on the things they should know for when they start school. I don't think it's just a daycare. The people are qualified to take care of the children, otherwise they wouldn't be working for a state funded program.

MOM22QTS
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Headstart being for kids that are behind is a common misconception. My daughter has been in a headstart/preschool program for a year and she will be going again this year. It is not because she is behind at all..but bc i think its great that she has the opportunity to go to school and learn prior to kindergarden. she is only 4 ,

my daughter has learned so much in the year that she was enrolled. I loved the program. i am very involved with her teachers and i believe that they are more than qualified to care and teach my daughter.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Head Start here in Idaho is primarily for kids coming out of Early Intervention services, meaning they are delayed in some areas. When those spots are filled, the remaining spots go to low income families. Molly is in EI and will probably qualify for HS, but I don't think we will utilize it. According to her physical therapist it really IS glorified daycare here in our County... but I know it varies place to place.

kids-have-my-heart.gif 

mandankurt
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Honestly I have no clue!  We're homeschooling, but heres a bump for you.  Hopefully someone else knows better than I do.  Good luck!

ajw05703
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The forms you need for head start should be given to you by their office. They are good for one year from your last exam although your child should be seen by a dentist every 6 months. You just take them to your dental office and doctors office and they fill them out. It's no big deal. I process them at work all the time. As for people who "believe in raising their own kids". It's a good idea, but not a realtiy for most families. Don't feel bad about having to put your child in daycare/preschool.

mom223
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

My main reason to put her in the Head Star is cuss she is a only child no interaction with any oker kids at all. I know that it will do great on  her speech as well to be around other kids, and I want her to learn more before going to pre school/pre-k which ever comes after head start lol. I am just scare is all is my first and only child so u can imagine.Thanks all for your advice

nikkiJ86
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I agree with you.Head Start is not just for kids who are behind.They tend to give priority to the kids with disabilities when they are selecting them though.That's because it's a great opportunity for them to learn.

Quoting MOM22QTS:

Headstart being for kids that are behind is a common misconception. My daughter has been in a headstart/preschool program for a year and she will be going again this year. It is not because she is behind at all..but bc i think its great that she has the opportunity to go to school and learn prior to kindergarden. she is only 4 ,

my daughter has learned so much in the year that she was enrolled. I loved the program. i am very involved with her teachers and i believe that they are more than qualified to care and teach my daughter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)