Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone help, child is in pain, please (sorry so long)

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM
  • 18 Replies

My oldest son is eight years old and about 3 months ago he was complaining about headaches, when I brought he to the doctor, they said that it is not unheard of for a child that age to have migrains and the since I have them (and apparently had them as a child for a short while) that it could be hereditary and that children that do have migraines usually grow out of them at least for a little while, usually until they reach their 20's. The doctor gave him some Ibuprofen and some Phenergan to take when he has a migraine. Well for a while that eased his pain and for a couple of weeks they stopped all together. Then about 2 weeks ago all of a sudden he fell to the floor grasping his head and stomach, crying and throwing up. I called the doctor and she sat up an appointment. They said that the vomitting is pain induced, and we have ruled out the migraines (which are now far worse all of a sudden) being caused by allergys, certain types of food, overexertion, too much sleep, too little sleep, bright light, too much television, general stress (though he says that he isn't upset about anything except the migraines) and any thing else that we could rule out by trial and error. At his appointment she gave him more Ibuprofen and phenergan and also zantac to take everynight to prevent stomach ache and tramadol to prevent the migraines. They also scheduled a catscan because we ruled out all other causes we could think of. Well yesterday the insurance company denied my son's claim for the catscan on the grounds that he was not having seizures. I am afraid that something is terrible wrong with him and that if we wait for him to have seizures before doing further tests it will be far too late. Has anyone else's kids experienced anything like this? I know this is long but I am terrified and need some help.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM

wow im sorry. i dont know what it could be or what you could do but i would be fighting the insurance company. they will pay less money in the long run if you find out what is wrong now rather than waiting til its worse you know? Insurance companies bother me so much! (ive had my own issues with them in the past) Ill google some stuff and maybe it could help. Good Luck.

awesome young navy wife and mom to bouncing mom crazy kiddos under 3 years old who will rear face until the limits of their seats cuz I know its 5x safer to rear face longer!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM

From what I understand dehydration can cause migraines too. I'd say have him drink lots of water throughout the day. (not to the point of water intoxication of course)

And even though caffeine can cause dehydration, it is supposed to help headaches. So, I say lots of water, and an occaional drink of something caffeine when he's having an episode. BUT I AM NO DOC!! HTH!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie
lundaylove
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM

i found this article online. its got a lot of information on migraines in children and stuff.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/migraine_headache_in_children/article_em.htm

awesome young navy wife and mom to bouncing mom crazy kiddos under 3 years old who will rear face until the limits of their seats cuz I know its 5x safer to rear face longer!

tyra618
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Depending on the insurance your doctor can fight it.  I do know that.  My son is going to be 4on Sat and has 2 insurances because he has autism.  His fathers insurance is primary and medicaid is secondary.  Medicaid denied an MRI and his doctors submitted why he needed it and it took 2 times but they ended up approving it.  So if your doctor feels he needs it see if they can fight it. Most insurances have a fair hearing type of thing.  So ask your sons doctor if that is available for him to do for your son. 

I suffer from migraines and did as a child.  try to keep him away from chocolate and caffeine products but during a migraine see if of all things Coca Cola helps. Keep him hydrated with water he is 8 so not the regular 8 glasses a day that adults are suppose to drink because of water intoxication.  I have taken migraine meds and they don't do nothing for the migraine for me.  So doctor told me to drink a coca cola during one and it has helped on occasion.

ZOEYSMOM1220
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM

catscans are ran for many reasons, and should not be base on seizures alone.  I would fight the ins co on this until they pay.  Have your child's DR contact them directly.  They have to do it all the time, and once the ins co hears the medical necessity of this then they should pre-approve it.   I'm sorry your child is going thru this, and I wish you the best of luck!

hoping4number3
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:28 AM

just some ideas... ?

cut the caffien

cut the sugars

get LOTS of water

maybe he needs glasses?

maybe allergies? (could be anything!) does he wake up with a headache? could be something in his room he's allergic to?

I don't have the answers :) just thoht I'd throw some thouhts your way!

Our FOURTH little princess is on her way :)pregnancy calendar 

momof2jmms
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Quoting tyra618:

Depending on the insurance your doctor can fight it.  I do know that.  My son is going to be 4on Sat and has 2 insurances because he has autism.  His fathers insurance is primary and medicaid is secondary.  Medicaid denied an MRI and his doctors submitted why he needed it and it took 2 times but they ended up approving it.  So if your doctor feels he needs it see if they can fight it. Most insurances have a fair hearing type of thing.  So ask your sons doctor if that is available for him to do for your son. 

I suffer from migraines and did as a child.  try to keep him away from chocolate and caffeine products but during a migraine see if of all things Coca Cola helps. Keep him hydrated with water he is 8 so not the regular 8 glasses a day that adults are suppose to drink because of water intoxication.  I have taken migraine meds and they don't do nothing for the migraine for me.  So doctor told me to drink a coca cola during one and it has helped on occasion.

The doctor in the ER gave me the largest cup of coffee I've every seen for my migraines. They also gave me an IV of fluids. So if the coke doesn't work maybe you can try coffee.

Beauty LouBeauty Lou  " In God We Trust"

imechard
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM

call your dr and have her office call them. Also my migraines are triggered by many things, but I had a migraine really bad Monday that was def. caused by MSG, it is a very popular additive in a lot of things as it is a flavor enhancer, really watch your labels for that. The whole name is mono sodium glutamate.

I have had migraines since I was 8 and the only thing that brought relief for an extended period of time was accupuncture. My mom has a friend and she swears by yoga

sky375
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM
This may sound odd, but I get migraines, have had them all my life. I have been hospitalized for them. They say the cause ( for me ) is unknown. I grind my teeth at night when I am stressed, this has been the beginning of many of my migraines. If you have ruled out allergens like you said you may want to try to get a mouth guard ( walmart or dental offices will have them for kids over the counter). If your child really is hurting to the point of vomiting there may be a larger issue. SO had migraines so bad as a child he was hospitalized. Take your child to the ER during the migraine and request the catscan. The insurance company will have to comply with the ER doctors order for the catscan. I know it seems awful but it may be the only way.
bugga
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

if u r not sure in what ur doctor is saying go to the er or ask him for a 2cd app. i was 6yrs ol;d when mine strated i tried all meds. and none worked for long my dad is a karate teacher and he had mom take me to the back doc (i cant spell it) an that worked  for me to this day i go to the back doc to get cracked (no shock pads thow) ounce a month and take a med called cataflame (scrip med) i hardly use it the meds.

i hope it gets better for him cause i know they hurt.. u can also try i think lavender oil just rub i litle on his 4head it work on my daughter (she dont like to take pills)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)