Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

yes its another Car seat question Please give me a moment of your time.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

So another post got me thinking about my sons car seat he has a 5 point car seat but my question is should i still be putting the seatbelt in the loops in the car seat or should it go around him?? The carseat is made for both but i am not sure which one is best.

thanx

-ash

CafeMom Tickers

~Look how far my Little Man has Come~

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

~Wonderful Mommy To Sheamus~

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM

what kind of carseat is it? and what exactly do you mean by putting the seat belt thru the loops or around him? Do you mean like in booster mode? Im a lil confused by the way you worded it.

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM

If he's in a harness, you don't put the seat belt around him too. What do you mean "the loops"? Do you mean the places on the back of the seat for the belt to pass through? If that's what you mean, then yes that's where the seat belt needs to go.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Soon to be homeschooling because I don't like the things they try to teach my children in pubilc schools, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls!

MommyOnLI
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

its either the latch system or the seatbelt to hold the carseat in place, and NO you do not need to put the seatbelt around him if hes still harnessed.

the seatbelt can do more damage if its used with the latch system or with the 5pt harness

imechard
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM

when he outgrows the five point this seat will become a booster, that is why it also uses the seatbelt as a belt positioning booster. As long as he fits in the five point harness keep him in there and install it with the latch (usually only up to 40 lbs or so) or use the seat belt to thread through the seat, not around him.

ashleykilleen
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Yes thats what i meant by loops lol, i coulnt think of any other way to explain it.

Quoting mommyof2grls06:

If he's in a harness, you don't put the seat belt around him too. What do you mean "the loops"? Do you mean the places on the back of the seat for the belt to pass through? If that's what you mean, then yes that's where the seat belt needs to go.

CafeMom Tickers

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

ashleykilleen
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM

All right cool i understand, we have kept the seat belt attached to the car seat in the passage way in the back of the car seat. I was just wondering if it was supposed to go around him. the car seat goes from 5 pounds to 100 pounds and the harness can accommodate a 100 pound child so he will be staying in the seat for a while,lol.

-ash

CafeMom Tickers

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Quoting ashleykilleen:

Yes thats what i meant by loops lol, i coulnt think of any other way to explain it.

Quoting mommyof2grls06:

Ok, well unless you're using LATCH, you need to put the seat belt through there. If he's forward facing, make sure you put your knee in the seat to get it tight enough while you're pulling on the seat belt or latch belt.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Soon to be homeschooling because I don't like the things they try to teach my children in pubilc schools, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls!

Andie.
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

What carseat do you have?  I don't know of any seats that go to 100lbs in the harness that turn into a booster.   Most go anywhere from 40-80 lbs harnessed (but you have to watch to make sure your child's shoulders don't go over the last usable harness slot height) and then booster to 100.

Quoting ashleykilleen:

All right cool i understand, we have kept the seat belt attached to the car seat in the passage way in the back of the car seat. I was just wondering if it was supposed to go around him. the car seat goes from 5 pounds to 100 pounds and the harness can accommodate a 100 pound child so he will be staying in the seat for a while,lol.

-ash

hurleydoll18
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

You may want to reread the manual.  Unless the seat is a special needs seat, no seat in the US harnesses to 100lbs and then converts to a booster.  It will booster to 100lbs but not harness.  What seat do you have?  We'll be able to tell you what the harness goes to.  When installing the seat, the seat belt goes in the forward facing belt path.  When using it in booster mode, the seat belt will go over the child.  If you have your manual, I would reread it to make sure everything is being done properly. 

Quoting ashleykilleen:

-ash

austinsm0mmy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

what type of seat do you have?  remember harnesses can also be out grown in height - so even if they have a high weight limit once your sons shoulders have reached the top of the heighest usable harness slot he has outgrown the harness and you will either need to switch to booster moder or buy a high weight harness seat.

They make it so difficult to disfer these seats weight limits sometimes.  I don't know of any seat available on the US market that harnesses to 100lbs.  usually it is either 40lbs - 65lbs - or 80lbs is the highest currenlty available.

The other ladies are correct - if you are using the seat in harness mode the seatbelt does not need to go over him.  If you have the seat install using the latch system then the seatbelt doesn't need to go anywhere.

Quoting ashleykilleen:

-ash

Child Passanger Safety Technician - Saving lives one car seat at a time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)