Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't I bond with him??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

We got our Jack Russell puppy when he was two months old, we've had him six months now and he is now eight months old. He is very active, very sweet and loves attention. We love him and he is going to be with us his entire life. My problem is I haven't bonded with him like I expected too and I can't figure out why. He irritates me a lot of the time for some reason. But he's so cute! I take good care of him, he is healthy and happy and loves everyone. I have always been an animal lover. I grew up with dogs and cats and I would get so attached to them! This one though I don't feel that same attachment. and I can't figure out why! I do love him, but I also love the neighbors dogs and I'm not attached to them and would never expect to be. But I should get attached to my own dog for goodness sake. He will always have a safe happy home with us, I just hope that someday I'll grow attached to him.  My husband and kids are already attached to him, what is wrong with me????

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jeweldog
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Sometimes there is just no spark between your and your pet... doesn't mean you don't care.  Your family loves him and if nothing else is wrong... don't worry about it.

newmom0508
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

since i've had kids i've been different with animals... like I even get irritated with my own dog most of the time... maybe something similar to you?

rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I think that before we have kids, those pets have a different spot in our lives. But now, they can irritate the crap out of us along with our kids. We're not planning on getting any animals until our kids are a lot older (10 or 11 or so). I think part of the problem is that animals crave attention the way children do, and we're much more understanding of our children than our pets.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Sounds like he has been a little work. Like puppies are. Maybe since he is so puppy like, you have a hard time because you want him to snuggle. He will snuggle when older and right now wants to play. You also picked a very hyper breed of dog. We adopted a dog a few weeks ago and the dog only wanted my dd for quite some time. I would just get her at night to sit with me when I was alone. She is eventually starting to come to me also. She is older, 3 yr old poodle and loves to sit with you. Plus if the dog irritates you, then the dog probably feels a type of aggression from you and stays away. Try to relax yourself around the dog like when trying to sooth a baby to sleep.

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

This is the first pet I've had since my kids were born. When I was younger I would really baby my pets now I have a two and five year old and I don't feel like I have the time, energy, or desire to "baby"  a puppy! lol I don't regret getting him though, we got him for our son and he is his buddy so it's worth it. My sister also got a puppy that she has grown really attached to, but her kids are teenagers, Maybe in my younger years I needed to nurture someone, and now that need is being met because I have my own children. I feel so guilty though! I hear people talk about how attached they are to their dogs and I feel guilty and even a little jealous! Maybe things will change in time.

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

He has been quiet a bit of work. You are right I would love for him to snuggle. Sometimes I will let him sit on the couch with me at night and watch TV, and he will lay his head in my lap and I'll rub his head. I love that, but a couple minutes later he is up trying to get into something again! lol. I have no problem getting him to come to me, he loves me and wants my attention all the time.

Quoting Mamamanic:

Sounds like he has been a little work. Like puppies are. Maybe since he is so puppy like, you have a hard time because you want him to snuggle. He will snuggle when older and right now wants to play. You also picked a very hyper breed of dog. We adopted a dog a few weeks ago and the dog only wanted my dd for quite some time. I would just get her at night to sit with me when I was alone. She is eventually starting to come to me also. She is older, 3 yr old poodle and loves to sit with you. Plus if the dog irritates you, then the dog probably feels a type of aggression from you and stays away. Try to relax yourself around the dog like when trying to sooth a baby to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)