Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cake decorators

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hey there! I have been wanting to learn to decorate cakes and was going to take a class, but then I got laid off. So I looked at some videos online and found some instructions on how to do it. I did last night and It came out pretty good, the only thing was that when I made the roses the icing was very schmelty and some of the practice ones I made wound up being a big blob more than a rose... so my question is- how do I fix that? Is it better to use one icing type over the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
firstbaby10
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

i use royal icing for making flowers it hardens fast and dries nicely ( i am a pastry chef part time at a resturaunt near green bay WI)

iluvmommyhood58
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
royal icing. If you want to use buttercream, make sure your cake is very cool. (you could refrigerate it for a while) You could also chill the frosting (but not too much) to firm it up a little.
peanutsmommy1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM

check your local craft store (joannes or michaels) A friend of mine took the Wiltons' cake classes there and learned how to make AMAZING cakes

PandTsmomjuly
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

My mom makes her own but it can be a pain in the butt. I can dig out the recipe she uses if you'd like. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)