Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vent.. i feel so lost.. :(

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

my mom has rheumatoid arthritis and has been in an active flare up since last august. she finally had to quite work in january.

she applied for disability through social security and was denied. she has now hired an attorney.

ok.

we just got back from her attorney.

we did not hear good news, AT ALL!

he told her the only thing working FOR her right now.. is the fact that her numbers show that she is currently under a flare up.

the fact that she is only 40 works against her

the fact she graduated highschool works against her

the fact that she has SOME range of motion works against her

he told her this is likely going to take a year and a half AT THE LEAST because they are so backed up w/ appeals cases...

he also told her that no money, and no insurance are not excuses for not seeing her drs or not taking her meds. if she cant work, and she wants to appeal this then she HAS TO CONTINUE taking her meds AND seeing her drs. ..... without insurance.

she can barely cover all of her bills now... whats another 1000+ dollars a month??

im so very frustrated over this. what do we do?

she is going to apply for food stamps... but i dont think she will get medicaid any more because "they no longer have programs for adults unless you are pregnant" wtf??

she is also going to try to contact the pharmacutical company that makes her medication and see if she cant get a much lower price worked out....

i just... i dont understand why this is happening... i really dont

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MAMAOF2ANGELS
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Sorry. I hope there is a silver lining out there for your mom.

Megan711
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I would get another attorney and get a second opinion.

mommytoG
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Wish I could give you some good news. I feel bad for your mom cause I know how hard that can be and with no job how is she supposed to be able to do anything without money coming in. All I can say is keep pushing for it, but unfotuantely if the new health system passes, she probably wont get any help or it will take many years to finally get to her and get an ok for her to get help.

It really sucks that this is what our world is coming to

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
newagemom700
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Im am so sorry! it a horrible situation to be in....I dont have any advice but hopefull someone here does.....try to keep your head up!!! BUMP

FuzNet
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Ask to speak to a medical social worker.  Communicate your mom's plight to her doctors, perhaps they can work something out.  Look into local charity programs provided by county government or chartiable agencies. 

ToriBabe1221
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM

i honestly dont know what a new attorney or a 2nd opinion would do for her.. this is all basically what was in the papers she was sent stating she was denied.

i feel horrible for her :( she is ONLY 40 YEARS OLD.. why is this happening to my mom? why is she being made to suffer and struggle so badly?

its not fair :(

singtastic
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I agree.  There's got to be someone out there who can help your mom out in the meantime.  RA sucks...big time.  It's not like plain, regular arthritis, and a lot of people don't realize how much other crap comes with the immune system problems with RA.  To be in a full flare-up for almost a year is insane.  I'm so sorry your mom is going through this.  Call the doc's office and see if they know of anyone you can contact to help you fight for this besides the attorney.  It's not like the attorney isn't fighting for her, he's giving her the real information she needs to keep fighting....but someone out there should be able to help her while the attorney takes care of things for the next yr and a half.

Quoting FuzNet:

Ask to speak to a medical social worker.  Communicate your mom's plight to her doctors, perhaps they can work something out.  Look into local charity programs provided by county government or chartiable agencies. 

AVON_Mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I can't be sure on this but, I have been told that if the DR is saying she is diabled (there will be a percentage there from the DR)  and she applied the first time and was turned down that if you re-apply you get it in the next 6 months. A lot depends on that percentage of diability the DR says she has too. That has to be a certain number not sure on this either. If it is a low number then SSI will think she is still able to work. But do try to refile again now it can't hurt anything.

Amberfire82
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Tori IDK what medications your mom needs but I found this site from a RA medication website that says they offer financial help to pay for medications. I will look for more stuff too.

http://www.humira.com/RheumatoidArthritis/FinancialHelp/Default.aspx

I Understand the Concept Magnet

ToriBabe1221
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM

her family dr says she is disabled. the dr SS sent her to says she is not.

i guess because of the fact that she can walk and can kinda move she is "able to work"

i guess the dont take into account what this disease has done to her hands. on most days she can barely brush her own hair much less do anything else.

i guess they think she can get a job somewhere where she sits on her ass all day and types on a computer. but there are a few problems with that.. first of all.. no experiance.. secondly her hands hurt all the time.. she cant sit and type for hours on end.. no way!!

when she was diagnosed in august 08 her RA numbers were in the 400's

by the time she quit work in late january they were over 1200!!!!

her RA dr switched her medication and her numbers have dropped back down to the 400's

"normal" and in remmission numbers are BELOW 20!

i feel so bad for her.. seeing her in this much pain...

ill keep searching and tell her to keep searching for services to help her out.

thank so much for the replies ladies... im still so lost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)