Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

afraid to sleep

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM
  • 2 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old daughter used to sleep pretty good.  Last week we had a nasty thunder storm which woke her up.  Since the night of the storm she is afraid of the dark and is afraid to sleep in her bedroom.  When I ask her what she is afraid of she finds something in her room and says that.  So far I've taken the stars off her ceiling and the butterflies off her wall, now she is naming toys that she wants out of her room.  It seems like she doesn't really know what she is afraid of.  It takes me forever to get her to sleep at night now and she gets up a couple of times during night.  I don't know how to get her to like her room again.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Does she have a night light? That is the only way my 3 year old will sleep in her room.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Soon to be homeschooling because I don't like the things they try to teach my children in pubilc schools, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls!

singtastic
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I'd imagine the combination of the thunder and the weird lighting up of her stuff by the lightening probably scared the tar out of her.  Does she have a nightlight so she can see everything?  What about a white noise machine that might help lull her to sleep a little easier (block outside sounds, etc). 

You're right to talk to her about it, and to try to get her to identify it, but she just might not be able to put it into words at the moment. 

Sometimes, I sit in my son's room and work on cross-stitch or read a book while he falls asleep...he just feels better that someone's there when he's really scared.

It could just be that she needs a couple nights of "no-fear" to get her back on her regular routine.  If you can find something to comfort her and distract her while she falls asleep, it might be enough to get her to stop thinking about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)