Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fine! Maybe I should just go sell crack!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

Has anyone ever had those kids show up at your front door and try to sell you magazines so they can go to Cancun? Soo many of them show up here, I've gotten their little "tricks of the trade down", like their line of flattery when you refuse to buy a magazine. LOL.

Last year I was outside with my son playing on the swing set with him when one of these guys strolls into my backyard to try and sell me a magazine. I ignore him as he blabs on and on. I tell him simply that I don't have the money to be spending on crap like that and continued to ignore him. Well he turned around and caught a Monarch butterfly that was in the lilac bushes of our house and told me he caught it for me. I looked at him and said, "You know, when you handle butterflies you ruin their wings and they die." He looked really guilty and let the butterfly go and finally left me alone.

Today's solicitor was different. He was really young looking so I was a little surprised when he told me he was selling magazines, I thought maybe he was one of the neighbor's kids needing something for his dad who works on our vehicles. The first thing he did that torked me was he asked me if my son was my body guard cause he was in his batman costume and standing right next to me at the moment. I said no and said he was my little man. The boy looked confused and was like, "Like your little brother?"

What the hell? "No, he's my son," I say. The kid then said I was too young to have children. I was like, "Bullshit, I'm 25 and I have two." Then he's like, "Yeah, that's too young to have kids." Okay, now I'm getting a little pissed. I completed high school with college credits and then went on to a university which I'm already graduated from and I never did and never will party, so who the fuck is he trying to tell me that I'm too young to have children?

Then he starts the silly spill about his magazines. I already knew what he was there for, I called him on it before he even got it out. Eventually, I told him I wasn't interested. None of the magazines I would read anyway. I told him I once bought a magazine from his "company" and I didn't even enjoy it, which was the truth.  He then tried to tell me that I shouldn't buy a magazine for myself then, I should buy one for my kids. Yeahh, my four year old is really going to read your magazines. You bet. I finally told him I just wasn't interested. So he started the flattery line, like they all do when they are told you don't want a magazine. He tells me I'm "different" for my neighbor ladies cause they are all a bunch of bitches. Yeah, okay. That's sooo bating points for me, telling me that my neighbors are bitches and I'm not because you've only been talking to me for what, two minutes? I tell him that they were probably only bitches cause he was soliciting and then he went on his big spill about how he wasn't a solicitor cause he wasn't leaving the product here. Whatever, dude. You are trying to sell me something at MY doorstep. In my book, that's solicitation cause no one wants you there.

So again, I politely tell him I'm not interested. Then he gets mad. He tells me that I'm making a choice not to support a positive guy who is trying to raise money a good way instead of selling crack cocaine. Remember, my son is standing there RIGHT next to me and he's talking about crack cocaine in front of a four year old. I narrowed my eyes and told him that if he has to sell drugs on the street for a trip to Cancun, his motives are messed up. He then tried to tell me that it wasn't for Cancun, that it was for a sponsorship for his schooling so he could open up a new restaurant. Okay, but when he first starting talking to me, he told me it was for a trip to Cancun, so now he's lying to me? So I'm getting more and more pissed at this point. I tell him I'm not interested once again and he starts putting the guilt trip on me about the crack cocaine. So I shut the door in his face and he yells at my door, "Okay, well have fun with all the other people who are going to come knocking on  your door when you could have just bought from me and they wouldn't come around here anymore!"

OMG. What the hell is wrong with that guy? Like his antics would cause me to buy a magazine from HIM? I almost wanna buy from the next person just to make sure HE doesn't get his stupid trip to cancun, cause he certainly doesn't deserve it.

baby

babies
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeweldog
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I actually bought a magazine subscription from one of these people and never got it.  They said my check bounced and I paid cash!  I over-paid by double to triple what I could get it at the news stand.  I just tell them now to go scam someone else and if any more of their group come to my door, I'll have them arrested or harassment and trespassing.  Total scam... don't fall for them.

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

He was wrong, you sound just like the neighbors he described,  lol!  Put a no soliciting sign on the door!  I don't answer my door,  if I don't want to talk to the person at it!  We get the Mormon gang around here wanting to recruit me.

Patti Marie
Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

That's the thing, we HAVE one on the front door! And I live in a triplex, so he walked into the entrence door where the sign is on and is in RED and he walked up three flights of stairs to get to my apartment.

Quoting pattimarie:

He was wrong, ou sound just like the neighbors he described!  Put a no soliciting sign on the door!

totallysober
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

yeah i ordered a subscription from those jerks, and never got it. i tried to call the number i was given and could never get through. huge scam. and when i googled the company there was a scam report that came up. no one gets their subscription...

the way they do business is horrible too. they have nothing to lose and they will be pushy and rude and disrepectful. when i googled the company, a story came up about some of these magazine people being involved with drugs and violence.

i would not even open my door to these people.

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction! 
canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I hate those people. I have a rottweiler and he is 150 pounds. He isnt mean by any means, but when people come to his door he has to get up so we can open it and he likes to peek at who it is. Usually it scares them and they go away and dont come back.

BuggersMom05
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I had something like this happen to me when I first moved to my current place.   It's a nice area, and I was in the front yard with my daughter.  This guy comes up and starts the whole magazine thing and I front out told him that I don't have any money.  This guy was actually really nice...and just started laughing asking why everyone says that to him.  

Then he asked if he could steal a cigarette from me.  I gave hime one and a light...THEN - he asked me if I knew where to score some weed from!!!  I was like excuse me???  He was like oh i'm so sorry. I thought it was so funny that he just out and asked if I knew to buy drugs.   You gotta watch those people....lol.

Never did find out what magazines he had or anything...he just gave up with the bit when I said I have no money what so ever...lol.  Cuz aparently he thought I spent it all on weed or something.

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Tell him this..."  I need to talk to my husband before making a decision,   can I get you name and number so if we decide to order any,  we can make sure you get the credit for it." 

Or some BS  like that,  maybe let him think you Husband reads all the magazines,  whatever it takes then call the Police and give the info you got.  Worth a shot.

Patti Marie
mommytoG
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

isnt it great to have big dogs? Ours is a shi tzu but he goes nuts when someone knocks on the door, and we open it they have this shocked looked on their face when they see out dog

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I hate those people. I have a rottweiler and he is 150 pounds. He isnt mean by any means, but when people come to his door he has to get up so we can open it and he likes to peek at who it is. Usually it scares them and they go away and dont come back.

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Rofl. But that sux that he had to say that infront of your little girl. But it would have been even more cute if she turned and was like, "Why would you wanna buy weeds?" and then pick a weed from the lawn and say, "Here's some for you! It's free!!!"

Quoting BuggersMom05:

I had something like this happen to me when I first moved to my current place.   It's a nice area, and I was in the front yard with my daughter.  This guy comes up and starts the whole magazine thing and I front out told him that I don't have any money.  This guy was actually really nice...and just started laughing asking why everyone says that to him.  

Then he asked if he could steal a cigarette from me.  I gave hime one and a light...THEN - he asked me if I knew where to score some weed from!!!  I was like excuse me???  He was like oh i'm so sorry. I thought it was so funny that he just out and asked if I knew to buy drugs.   You gotta watch those people....lol.

Never did find out what magazines he had or anything...he just gave up with the bit when I said I have no money what so ever...lol.  Cuz aparently he thought I spent it all on weed or something.

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Quoting mommytoG:

isnt it great to have big dogs? Ours is a shi tzu but he goes nuts when someone knocks on the door, and we open it they have this shocked looked on their face when they see out dog

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I actually have 2 rotts and a chocolate lab, but the other rott likes to lay in the kitchen and she is only 8 months so she is only about 90 pounds, and the lab is 9 years old and could care less about anything except being left outside!

I just think its hilarious when their eyes get all dear in the headlights!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)