Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doesnt 50 percet of the US owe a freakin bank right now??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

ugh i dont know why i answered the phone today... i got a call some collection place today about how i owe US bank from like 5 years ago!!!....ive never heard anything form them till recently. they were asking me to pay in full before they take further action.... now im parapoid cause i cant affrd for them to wipe out my bank account without me knowing OR go through my paychecks at work....... im not sure if they can do this (cause i would think they would have done it along time ago) but im afraid they are going to... ugh! i know i am not the only one who owes a bank.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newagemom700
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Def. not the only one.... but i would look into the amount of time they have to contact you FROM THE BEGINNING of your "delinquent" account, because i dont think after 5 years and this being the first to hear about it should fly....

RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I'm sorry! Thats weird to get a call about that so late- wow years ago!?

We dont owe anything to anyone- just our bills each month. I have a friend though that had his ex gf over withdraw in their bank about 500- then she disappeared. That was years ago and he still hasn't paid them.

PhotobucketLilypie
doublethejoy616
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM

That's weird!  Don't they have to send you a written notice before making contact by phone?  Also I don't think that collection agencies can take money from your bank account unless they've won a judgement against you?  I'm not sure...sounds fishy to me. 

Sorry you have to deal with this!!

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I HAVE A FEELING THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO SCARE ME...... WHICH I KNOW THEY TRY AND DO ALOT..... MAYBE IM BEING JUST TO NERVOUS LOL. I WANNA PAY IT OF BUT AS OF RIGHT NOW THERES NO FREAKIN WAY WE CAN....

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

nope been there done that know how you feel

abbismom1117
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I think this might be a scam. They HAVE to send you something in writting. They cannot wipe out your bank account without a court order and they have to send you a written notice regarding their intent to take you to court. If they call you again tell them they need to send you something in writting before you are paying them one cent. Once you receive a notice, you need to write them back and tell them you want this debt verified. They then have something like 30 days to prove you owe the debt. If they cannot prove you owe the debt, they have to drop it. The statuate of limitations is usually 7 years to collect on a debt, so if this is a real debt that could be why they are contacting you now. Good luck!

Sarah

Lilypie

Lilypie

Lilypie

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

did they take money from your bank account?

Quoting Godsgirl4ever06:

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Go to the branch you opened that account at and talk to someone there ( if you dont live there anymore call the branch) and talk to someone there. You may be able to arrange small payments with them. But by you calling them you will know for sure or not if its real or someone trying to scam you.

Godsgirl4ever06
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

it was a different bank we owed and our new account was at another bank so no they didnt i dont think they can without permisson

Quoting Torienslilmama:

did they take money from your bank account?

Quoting Godsgirl4ever06:

busybee76
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

If they call again, ask them to send you proof...they have to have some kind of paper trail showing all the info.....or if you have any contact info from them, call back and ask. We did that about a supposed old phone bill that they called us on, it was SO old, we had them send us the paperwork they had and it wasn't ours after all.

And if they prove it is in fact yours, you can always set up monthly payments with them, even if it's a little bit each month, that shows you're working on paying it off and they can't take further action.

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)