Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about puppy...

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just recently moved, and the townhome a few places down always has their puppy outside.  The garage door is left open and the puppy is always outside alone, and I think the owners aren't even home.  He's not hooked to anything.  He's a friendly puppy, and my daughter and I were just petting him, but I'm worried that he'll get run over or something.  Also, when we go to pet it, after it got to know that we were friendly, it would pee a little each time, and when we would reach out to pet it, it would jolt and stick it's tail between its legs for a couple seconds.  Some other kids went to pet him that knew the puppy, but it did the same thing... should I just leave it alone? Or report it for the lack of leash/chain, just to make sure the puppy is safe?  Who knows how they treat it also...

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM
It needs to be reported before it's killed!

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM

What you are describing is called "submissive peeing".  It is a very normal dog behavior and it may not be do to abuse at all.  The Puppy could just be a sensitive dog and submissive.  When you approach a dog the best way to do it is not to make eye contact and not to stand over the dog because that is a dominant posture to them.  When meeting a dog you should also not put your hand above the head but under their chin.  

I would call animal control and tell them this puppy is running lose and you are afraid it is going to get hit.  They will eithery pick the puppy up or confront the owners depending on the laws in your area. 

mommytothree07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Quoting KyliesMom5:

What you are describing is called "submissive peeing".  It is a very normal dog behavior and it may not be do to abuse at all.  The Puppy could just be a sensitive dog and submissive.  When you approach a dog the best way to do it is not to make eye contact and not to stand over the dog because that is a dominant posture to them.  When meeting a dog you should also not put your hand above the head but under their chin.  

I would call animal control and tell them this puppy is running lose and you are afraid it is going to get hit.  They will eithery pick the puppy up or confront the owners depending on the laws in your area. 

my dog does this.. I don;t know why, but they do this my vet told me because he is excited to see you and that he is I don;t know the word, honoring? you..it would honor me more if he didn't, but oh well

poor puppy!  what kind of dog is it?

my dog is spoiled he is left inside except to go potty and when we leave I leave the ac on with him in the kennel lol

momofne
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I agree

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)