Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need monetary advice ASAP

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM
  • 7 Replies

We're in such a mess right now that I can't think straight. I thought maybe someone could give me advice from another view.

My husband quit his job with the union, not making a lot of money but a doable budget, with room to grow. He went to work at Papa John's (temporarily) until he could find another job. The Papa John's job was supposed to bring in the same amount of money, he had done that work before. But with times being tight right now, people just aren't ordering pizza and tipping as they used to.

I got discouraged, since he wasn't looking for that "other" job that he was planning on doing. I signed up to go to school to be a med. Asst. I would have graduated in Jan. but now I'm pregnant and probably won't graduate until March or later. I'm stuck in these classses from 10-3 Mon through Thurs.

DH works at PJ from around 11- 4:30 Wed and Thurs and 11- ? Frid Sat, and Sun.

I want to get a job, but that means we would have to find a sitter for 5 kids and I wouldn't get to see them, because they would be in school while I'm in school and with a sitter in the evening, because Dh is now attending the same school I am from 5:30 - 10:30 Mon- Thurs evening.

I just don't see any way to bring in more money. Any ideas?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyOnLI
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM

just out of curiosity what union was he in that he wasnt making that much money...

all the unions i know of start at about $25 an hour, full benifits after 1000 hours and partial benifits after 500 hours.

and once you are in the union you are there forever, they can lay you off, but its not the same kind of layoff as one would have with a corporate job.

kristinas8
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Quoting MommyOnLI:

just out of curiosity what union was he in that he wasnt making that much money...

all the unions i know of start at about $25 an hour, full benifits after 1000 hours and partial benifits after 500 hours.

and once you are in the union you are there forever, they can lay you off, but its not the same kind of layoff as one would have with a corporate job.

He was an apprentice in the Painter's union doing the job of his boss making $12 an hour. They expected way more out of him because he could do it, but wouldn't compensate. The last straw was he had to travel to do classes for the union and was working the night shift at the time, classes were day shift. He asked for a layoff or to be switched to days while he was doing classes and they denied him. I guess they expected him to work an 8 hr shift drive 3 hrs and go to classes with no sleep and then at the end of the weekend turn around and go to work with no sleep for I think it was 3 weeks straight no breaks.

MommyOnLI
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Quoting kristinas8:

Quoting MommyOnLI:

He was an apprentice in the Painter's union doing the job of his boss making $12 an hour. They expected way more out of him because he could do it, but wouldn't compensate. The last straw was he had to travel to do classes for the union and was working the night shift at the time, classes were day shift. He asked for a layoff or to be switched to days while he was doing classes and they denied him. I guess they expected him to work an 8 hr shift drive 3 hrs and go to classes with no sleep and then at the end of the weekend turn around and go to work with no sleep for I think it was 3 weeks straight no breaks.

i understand his fustration, but he should have complained to the union board and they could have rectified it.. but regardless thats not what you were asking....

when you are in school 10-3 and your DH is working 11-4:30 where are the kids?  and bc you are pregnant you are going to have a hard time finding a job.. yes they can't deny you bc you are pregnant but they can find other reasons not to hire you...

good luck..

o0gone0o
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Most unions do well so its weird to think he'd expect to make the same at papa john's.  Maybe its just my area.  My mom works for a factory as part of a union she gets a decent base plus a really good per piece rate.  The better she does at putting the pieces together the more she makes..  The only thought I can come up w/ is to either try to get back into the union or find something better than PJ..

kristinas8
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Quoting MommyOnLI:

Quoting kristinas8:

Quoting MommyOnLI:

i understand his fustration, but he should have complained to the union board and they could have rectified it.. but regardless thats not what you were asking....

when you are in school 10-3 and your DH is working 11-4:30 where are the kids?  and bc you are pregnant you are going to have a hard time finding a job.. yes they can't deny you bc you are pregnant but they can find other reasons not to hire you...

good luck..

For the summer they have been going to camp at the Y. Connect has helped pay for most of the cost.

metachat
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Maybe he should get a second job -just for now! Went I was a singlle mom I work two three jobs at a time. If your pregnant it' not a good time for you to be out working away from the other children.

good luck

Meta :-)

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Put up a sign for house cleaning. And just do not over-charge. You can get so much cleaning done in a hour so charge by the job.

All my love, All my life.

Madison,clayton,allura.

All my love, All my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)