Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What did you do for your baby's first birthday???

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son's first birthday is next month and I'm having a hard time planning it. I realize that he won't remember it but I'd still like to do something fun.

SOOOO.. I wanna know...

What did you do for YOUR baby's first birthday?

Any ideas are extremely appreciated!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

We threw a large cook out for all three of my kids 1st bdays. except they were not cook outs geared towards kids, they were more parties for us that we got through the year, lol. We invited all of OUR friends, since 1yos don't have friends and served alcohol...and just lived it up. Then around 7ish the babies left and we went on partying. The babies still got gifts and we got a much needed night of fun after a year of baby stuff.

mommy2bunny
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Even though he won't remember it, you will.  Plus, it's nice to have pictures and videos of our kids' milestones.

We had my DD's 1st b-day at Chuck E Cheese.  I didn't buy their birthday package because it's expensive.  I just bought 5 pizzas drinks and tokens.  I didn't have to buy too much decorations.  I didn't have to clean anything up or worry about entertaining anyone.  Plus, you get unlimited refills on drinks.  I made cup cakes so I didn't have to worry about plates, napkins, forks, and a knife to cut the cake with.  I know people say there's nothing for a toddler to do there...but there is.  They can't do much anywhere they go.  At least Chuck E Cheese has little rides and stuff geared for little ones.  I know it's a germ haven, but so are parks....as long as they wash their hands, or, if you have hand sanitizer.......

I had a great experience and I'm thinking of doing it again for my DD's 2nd birthday.  Good luck! 

jasey929
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Quoting christina0607:

We threw a large cook out for all three of my kids 1st bdays. except they were not cook outs geared towards kids, they were more parties for us that we got through the year, lol. We invited all of OUR friends, since 1yos don't have friends and served alcohol...and just lived it up. Then around 7ish the babies left and we went on partying. The babies still got gifts and we got a much needed night of fun after a year of baby stuff.

We pretty much did the same thing for our DD first. Hers is Sept 29 and it happened to be a beautiful day.
Baby-boy2008
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Well, I celebrated my sons 1st bday at a park and invited everyone we know. It was a "Winnie the pooh and gang" theme. We grilled food. We had hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chips, soda and juice. We played games and gave out prizes. And gave out goodie bags at the end of the party. It was very nice.

MommyOnLI
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM

we rented an area in one of the town parks

had about 80ppl

had it catered w. servers/cooks/cleanup crew (except for the liquor)

hired kids entertainment

enjoyed the day with our DS...

totallysober
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:04 PM

i had a princess party for my daughter. 

i went all out and had a castle background, a castle cake, princess cups. my daughter wore a princess costume and a crown too.

if this next kiddo is a boy, his first birthday will be prince themed. just because i think every kid should feel like royalty on their first bday. (: 

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction! 
tkarstens
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM

For our daughter we had a party at home with our friends and family... pretty much a cookout...

For my son we had cake and ice cream and released his balloons up to heaven since that is where he spent his first birthday...

SAHM, Proud mommy of a 4 year old princess, a mommy of a beautiful angel baby Jensen, and baby #3 on the way!!! Married for 3 years to my wonderful navy man!!!

sadeyez11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM

for dds first birthday we had a party at mr. gatti's. it was awesome. we invited everyone we knew, family and friends. had a blast. for ds we made his party at planet pizza. same thing. we went all out on their first birthdays. now we just do a party at the park or at my inlaws. still invite everyone we know. last yr we gave dd the choice of a party or $100 she chose the money. this yr she is getting not only a party but a sleep over as well. cant wait. ds is turning 4 so we are having him a pirate party. cant wait. they may not remember it but you will and the pictures will show them what you did. jmo

lilysmom31
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Since she is the only baby in the family and we know no other small children, we decorated the house for her b-day, made a cake... then had a champagne brunch for the adults.  We have all the classic birthday pictures and it was enjoyable for adults.  Next year for her 2nd b-day we will do something more of a birthday theme.

libbykate
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM

OMG, I went so overboard. lol.

I rented out the music room in a coffee shop and threw a pirate party.

I had two pirate cakes, one for Aidan to dig into on his own and a big one for everyone else.  I decorated the place to the T. I even had a life sized pirate skeleton that was animated and welcomed everyone in.  The gift table was covered with treasure maps on the bottom, then I made a treasure chest to keep the smaller gifts in along with gold and silver beads hanging out of it and all over the table. Oh and fake gold pieces everywhere.  All of his gifts from me and his family where wrapped in gold and silver wrapping paper to look like treasure.

All of the kids dressed up like pirates. I had pirate music playing, jolly roger flag brownies, pirate booty veggie snacks ( they are awesome, they are like corn puffs but all natural and yummy) Pirate toys on the floor for the little ones to play with along with pirate coloring books for the older kids. I had fake parrots, pirate flags, a million jolly roger balloons along with captain hook ones.

It was amazing and so much fun for everyone.

here was the invite

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)