Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you force your children to eat??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

My daughter's grandmother [ex MIL] said that when she stays at her house, she makes her sit at the table and eat everything on her plate.  Here at my house, I don't do that.  Nor do I appreciate her grandmother doing it.  If I cook something for lunch or dinner I will sit her in front of it and if she does not want it then I tell her "Fine but when you are hungry I will heat it up for you."  If I think it is because she doesn't like it, then I will make her a sandwich or something.  Otherwise, if she doesn't want to eat, I don't force her.

I just wanted to know what everyone else thought about this.  Her grandmother makes her sit there until her plate is near empty ....

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM

nope I dont !!  day 3 now and he has refused to eat...... he will eat when he is hungry ( he isnt sick just been acting up since daddy left)   plus as long as she eats SOME of her food she shouldnt be forced to eat it all.

mom_of_twingirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I dont. They eat when they want to eat

nikkiJ86
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I do that too most of the time(make them eat all of their food).But sometimes I will give in.But if you don't like that,then she shouldn't have did it.Did she know that you don't do that?

bigmommasmomma

No but if she refused to eat most of the day I MAKE her take a couple bites before she can do what she wants. I but don't believe in making a child eat everything before they get up.

--MY LAINA BABY--
-got a taste of paint-

iluvmommyhood58
Nope. Studies show that just teaches kids to ignore hunger signals and eventually fail to eat only when hungry and stop when actually full. Obesity in this country needs no help. My kids are fed what I decide. They'll eat it if they're hungry and if they don't eat it, I guess they'll be really hungry come the next healthy meal I set in front of them.

Oh, yeah, I do "make" them try a bite of each thing on the plate...
cecilianchipper
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I told her thats not how things work at my house.  But I was not sure if it was the way I should be doing it so I decided to come here for some second opinions before telling her it is wrong to do.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

I do that too most of the time(make them eat all of their food).But sometimes I will give in.But if you don't like that,then she shouldn't have did it.Did she know that you don't do that?

SIS213
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

no i dont make them eat,but that nevers happens lol,my boys love food......always been that way.

kenziejosmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Nope! Never have, unless they're acting up and messing around at the table. I don't make them sit there and eat every piece though. When they're old enough to understand meal/snack times and that's IT then it's one thing. My niece is 7 and I had her tonight and she ate really well, asked for seconds, and I did tell her she needed to eat some of it because she asked for more and we don't need to just waste food, but if she was full she could get up. My daughter is 18 months old and is quite a picky eater, but I figure she'll eat when she's hungry. If she doesn't eat her lunch I'll heat it for her later, or if she doesn't like something, I'll fix her something else.. She eats pretty well at meal times, but if she doesn't eat all her food I don't stress it..

My 6 year old neice likes to play at the table.. she'll act like she's not hungry but when everyone else is done and is heading to play or whatever, she'll eat all her food real fast to get done... when I have her, I make her sit and eat because she plays a LOT, but I don't force it down her. I just tell her if she doesn't eat she's not getting the snack we're getting, which we usually have some type of fruit or graham crackers or something for my daughter shortly after she eats dinner..

cecilianchipper
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Yes my daughter is not bad about trying new things.  If I put something new in front of her, she is almost always curious, and tries it anyways.  And she usually want to take a couple bites of something and then want to get down and play.  So I let her down and when she is hungry again I will let her finish what she had or make something else.

Quoting iluvmommyhood58:

Nope. Studies show that just teaches kids to ignore hunger signals and eventually fail to eat only when hungry and stop when actually full. Obesity in this country needs no help. My kids are fed what I decide. They'll eat it if they're hungry and if they don't eat it, I guess they'll be really hungry come the next healthy meal I set in front of them.

tkarstens
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM

That is what I was going to say...

Quoting iluvmommyhood58:

SAHM, Proud mommy of a 4 year old princess, a mommy of a beautiful angel baby Jensen, and baby #3 on the way!!! Married for 3 years to my wonderful navy man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)