Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ATTEN. Dyson and/or kirby owners........ UPDATE!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: which one should I get?

Options:

kirby

dyson

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

I found a kirby and a dyson on ebay and they're both under two hundred dollars, which one should I get?

*****I ended up getting a brand new dyson for $209=)  Thanks for all the advice!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Biancas_mommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Don't know to much about dyson...but kirbys are 100% american made every screw bolt plastic all of it 100%american...and they work fantastic!

Wistful
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I have never used a Kirby, but I own a Dyson. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Dyson and it's well worth the money.
Also, Dyson's customer service seems to be on top of things and even tells you to call them if ANYTHING goes wrong or you have any issues with the vacuum. I even got a notice in my email reminding me to change my filters.
After the hell I went through with my old vacuum Dyson is amazing!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

squidsmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Here's the Kirby speech, Kirby's are the only vacuum that has the proper suction. All other vacuums have a small tube that runs across your carpet and that's how the dirt gets sucked up. the whole power head on a Kirby is the suction, so it's strong enough to lift the carpet, create air flow underneath so the dirt can be suctioned up. That dirt is the dirt that makes wear marks because if you think about it, dirt is glass. I would absolutely kill for a $200 Kirby. That's unheard of. Plus, Kirbys can change into canisters, have a few feet of tubes so you can actually clean hard to reach places, it will safely clean hardwood floors and should come with a carpet shampooer. Even if it doesn't come with the shampooer, it's an incredible deal.

lauren8892
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM

never owned a Dyson but I've had a Kirby and I HATED IT!! It was given to us but it only stayed with us for a few months then I had to get rid of it! Too heavy and they get you with the shampoo part because their cleaner is the only cleaner that will work so you can't go buy the cheap stuff.

squidsmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I don't know about second hand, but Kirby's have a lifetime warranty on it's parts and there are no filters to change because the filters are right in the bags

Quoting Wistful:

I have never used a Kirby, but I own a Dyson. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Dyson and it's well worth the money.
Also, Dyson's customer service seems to be on top of things and even tells you to call them if ANYTHING goes wrong or you have any issues with the vacuum. I even got a notice in my email reminding me to change my filters.
After the hell I went through with my old vacuum Dyson is amazing!!

Aamy
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Dyson !!! I LOVE mine. We have had it for .....6 or 7 yrs now and still works great. I have not messed with the newer kirbys but my dad and grandmother have the older ones and OMG they are a beast. I hate how you have to take it all apart to use adaptors.

CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Agreed ours is great!! It has awesome suction power, I just have to get close to the base board and it pulls everything out...

Erica

Quoting Biancas_mommy:

Don't know to much about dyson...but kirbys are 100% american made every screw bolt plastic all of it 100%american...and they work fantastic!

a wedding website

MedicMommyAnne
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I have a Dyson Ball and LOVE it.  I will never buy anything else.  You can get a ton of different attachments for it as well.  We have the animal attachment and it is great, it takes all the cat hair off my microfiber chair that the cat has claimed as his

You don't replace filters in these.  You wash them and let them sit out to dry for 24 hours, once every 3 months.

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I have had 2 kirbys.  the first one was given to me and was about 25 years old.  It was amazing even that old it was better then my other vaccum.  It finally died las year at about 32 years of age i believe.  I have a 5 year old kirby now and i will never use another brand. 

I would google the type of kirby it is just so you can get an idea how old it is.  Regardless of which one you choise you should take it to a vaccum shop and make sure it is truly in good shape. 

Osstie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I have both a kirby and a dyson,and I say dyson. hands down. kirby was the worst purchase of my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)