Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie here...found your site~My unwed, 1st Time Mom needs your help

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello I hope to meet others who can lead us in the right direction...

My 20 year old daughter is pregnant for the 1st time. Her finace cheated on her about the same time she found out she was pregnant. Was unplanned but we see this baby as a gift from GOD and a blessing. She is our only child and lives at home with my husband and I.

She works hard and goes to school. My husband and I are both disabled and live on a tight budget. Money between the 3 of us is very, very tight.

We have to find a way to afford the items we need for this new baby as of right now we have nothing at all. We need a baby bed, baby swing, bottles, etc.

Does anyone know any non-profit orgs, persons, groups,etc. who help young unwed mothers to be....as she is very much in need. This is legit and all true..We are not asking for Cash....we are just trying to find the things she needs for the baby.

If you would be interested in helping or know someone who can help us, please e-mail me and I will give you more information.

Thanks, 1st Time Grandma

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Osstie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I'm not sure what state you're in, but here in west michigan we have a place called love inc. They are a christian church that takes donated clothes and lots of baby items and furniture. Maybe check your local yellow pages online and see if there are any in your area. Good Luck with everything!

Maliksgirl
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM

what state are you in? 

"Beware a sharp tongue, you may cut your own throat!"

ashmarie08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM

freecycle or craigslist!

are you having a baby shower for her? 

RockTheSocks
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM

try freecycle.org

you can find the group for your area and request items that you need. it may take a while, but if you start now you should be able to get everything there for free before the baby comes.

Also lookfor consignment sales and swap meets in your area.

try pennysaver around your area as well.

taylormom82
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I was really poor when I was pregnant with my first son a few years ago and I managaed to find everything I needed for my little fellow for pretty much pennies or free. I Salvation Army shopped, thrift stores, and the classifeds always have great baby stuff people are getting rid of. Aslo for formula and all that she needs to get on WIC or foodstamps because they are a huge help with that stuff. I would tell her not to worry where babies are concerned it always works out. Hey if you lived close to me I would sell you all my baby stuff free when my little one grows out of it in a few months. Im sure someone in your area has stuff to get rid off too. Maybe you could place an ad in classifeds saying your in need of baby stuff and see what happens. Good luck and I will help you anyway I can.

rachael_c
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Go to www.wishuponahero.com.  You can list what you are in need of and hopefully some kind person can get you those things. :)

ashmarie08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

go to yardsales too!  i got tons and tons of stuff from a yardsale for next to nothing, just because they wanted it gone. 

Pita_Dragonfly
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Go to  social services and  she  can fill  out the forms and she  can  say  she pays  you  rent to live there. ( thats up to you) She will have to  fill out paperwork and  show the  reciepts to you.

BUT  if that will cause  problems  in your  family if she does that  (  money  taken away) then  see if  they  can set her  up  in her  apartment. Sometimes the system is there for  a  reason. USE IT.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM

welcome to cafemom

Hi!

Thank you for joining the group!

Please feel free to join in the conversation and share your thoughts with the other members here.  You can reply to posts and start posts of your own.  As you meet other members, visit their pages and say hello.  You may want to send out some friend invitations, too!

We also suggest joining and meeting other Moms like you in these:
Recommended Groups.

To find moms in your area, click here: 
Find Moms In Your Area!

For help setting up your profile page and adding widgets, visit the CafeMom Group:
Toadily Grand Slammin Profiles .

You can find information and moms talking about different topics by using the search bar at the top of every page.

Anytime you have a question or suggestion for us, please send a message to:
The
Cafe Group Admin Team.

We really appreciate feedback from members and we keep all reports confidential.

coffee    

Make yourself at home and enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

sagi6666
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Congrats 1st time grand ma...I'm looking to be one too in about 8 months...To me, it's too soon, but what can you do...Go with the flow I guess...Anyway, I plan on hitting places like garage sales...I find all kinds of cute baby stuff there all the time...You can tell who takes care of their baby stuff and who doesn't by looking at what they got out for sale...Besides, I would much rather buy at garage sales and know the money is going towards a family that needs other kids' stuff other than places like Baby's R Us places like that...As far as free organizations go, all I know of is WIC that helps on some of the babies formula and cheese, milk, juice, stuff like that...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)