Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

I need some advice. I have tried talking to my daughter's pediatrician, but he didn't really respond with anything except wait to see what happens.

My sister has severe ADHD and my ex husband had ADHD as well. I have been overly concerned that my daughter will have ADHD and am REALLY hoping she doesn't! However, I am having concerns about her behaviour. I just want to find out whether my daughter is acting like a normal 3 year old, or if I should be researching ADHD and learning how to raise a daughter with ADHD effectively.

My daughter is in gymnastics class and for the most part loves it. However she doesn't pay attention very well at all. The teacher is constantly calling her back over from getting distracted. Sarah will follow what she is supposed to do and then see the nearest thing next to her and drift away.

At first I thought that maybe she was getting used to being in a class type setting. This is the first class she has been in. But, she goes twice a week and has been going for 3 weeks now. She often gets distracted at home, but when she finds something very interesting she gets into it usually. She listens to me very well at home with the 1,2,3, timeout. I normally don't have any issues with her except when she is overtired, sick, etc.

I just want to do what's best for my daughter and to be on top of it. I know that children with ADHD need to be responded to differently than children without it. Please don't bash. I just want to know if this is normal behaviour for her age or if I should be looking deeper.

Thanks in advance!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted informational stuff. I am not trying to diagnose my daughter, I just needed to know if I should be concerned. I am a planner and I like to plan things as much as possible ahead of time. If she has ADHD, I just want to make sure I am well educated and know what route to take when she hits school age. I also know that teaching your children coping skills before they hit school can be very beneficial for the teachers.

Thank you so much!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rkoloms
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.

You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

You are welcome to contact me offlist if you have any questions.

Robin in Chicago

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Please read the following link:  http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/ast_oneadhd-children.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Your child is way too young to be diagnosised with ADHD. No child should be diagnosised before they are in about 1st grade. A child needs to be observed in more than one setting. At 3, a lot of kids are distracted by other things going in around them. Sit in any preschool classroom and you will see this. My son's doc refused to even test him until he was in 4th grade. He does not believe in medicating a child for ADHD much before that time. I am the one who fought to  have my son tested and I am glad that I did. He is now in 8th grade, on Vyvanse for his ADHD (just during the school  year) and his grades went from D's and F's to A's and B's, his self esteem sky rocketed and he thanked me for putting him on the meds because he can concentrate and do his work without getting in trouble.

I agree with  your doctor, don't worry so much about it at this time. Give your daughter time to mature and develop. Wait until she is in school for a couple of years before having her tested. Then make the decision how you will have her treated, if she is ADHD.

mommytoG
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Sounds like a typical 3 yr old to me. My son is like too

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
Jessica365
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

FROM A MOM WITH ADD THAT HAS TWO SONS WITH ADHD. The behavior you are describing is typical for a 3yr old. For girls the symptoms are a little different so you might want to just get to know them in case but don't stress. Raising Kids with ADHD these days is sooo different than when we were kids. If and When the time comes there is support, info and options. My 10 with ADHD is just going on meds again after serval yrs of being off. We and the DR. understand that livable behave is OK and no kid is perfect. Now he is a little fraustrated so it is time to step in with meds. My 5 yr with ADHD is not on meds(both do take all natrual sleep aide in small doses) but this is the yr of k soo we set an appiont to reevauluate 6six in to school. My 9yr does not have it and at times he is more pigheaded than all of us. Soo relax and enjoy ur child she is exactly who she is suppose to be. Us ADHDers don't need fixing we just need a little extra suppport at time and lots of love. My Kids think it's okay to be them even if we have to be alittle more organized and we luagh a little louder(mostly at our selves; today we found the opened dressing in the pantry instead of the fridge and its not unusual to find the tea in the glasses cabinet)lol.  

dancingplaying soccerslidehula hoop

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)