Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tummy sleeper

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 8 month old turns over on her tummy in the middle of the night, is she still at risk for SIDS? Should I flip her back over or just leave her?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveHayden08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM

whenever a baby can roll over on thier own the risk for sids goes wayyy down!! you cant really do anything..ever since my baby rolled over he sleeps on his tummy now!

lshartnett
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

just leave her. My dd has slept on her stomach for I don't know how long she is 10 1/2 months old now and that is the ony way that she will sleep. I use to try and put her on her back but she would wake up about 5 minutes later and I laid her on her stomach once and stayed asleep. I was so worried about  her sleeping on her stomach I would check her like every 5 minutes.

CafeMom Tickers
Beautiful__mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

my 1month old has to sleep on his tummy he chokes on his throw up at night and he will scream if we put him on his side she is belly is the only way he get him to sleep and my dd when she was 4months old and starting rolling over she would sleep on her belly i think your baby will be fine

DaiDai
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Both my boys slept on their tummys, plus if she can roll over- I wouldn't worry as much!

mommytoG
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Once she rolls over, there is not much you can do. No matter how times you put her back on her back, she will roll over again. Just check on her more and make sure she is ok.

I read on a post in here somewhere that SIDS can last up until they are 11 or 12 but its not as dangerous. Just like RSV, you can be 65 and get RSV but its not as bad of strain as it for an infant.

I am sure she is ok

Get your free online pregnancy calendar from WhatToExpect.com
Laceymay
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM

my moms a nurse and she said sids can actually last until 2 years of age. I wouldn't worry so much if they are able to roll over on thier own I would just keep checking on them every now and then

Nicole080984
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I don't know how many times people are going to have to say this "ONCE THEY CAN ROLL OVER THEY ARE FINE!"  there's nothing you can do, and by constantly rolling them back to their back, you are just disturbing their sleep...Kids are at risk for SIDS until the first yr or two I think, but there is a difference between SIDS and you being afraid your child will suffocate...suffocating is NOT SIDS...SIDS is at it's highest risk at 2-4 months.

My daughter has slept on her stomach since birth (she wouldn't sleep any other way).

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

I am a formula feeding, never co-sleeping, sleeping in their own room, stomach sleeping, vaccinating, time-out and CIO believer, pro-induction, pro-choice, tattooed and pierced, needs to lose some weight mama.
GailllAZ
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Once they can roll over they aren't fine. Tummy sleeping is still a risk factor.

There isn't much you can do about it if you are going to have the baby sleep in a crib. The use of sleep positioners is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics or the SIDS Alliance.

The baby not sleeping on it's back is just one of the many risk factors for SIDS. Formula feeding is another and a large percentage of moms aren't concerned about that.

The newest is to have a fan in the room where baby sleeps.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

My doctor told me to keep putting my kids down to sleep on their backs, if they rolled over themselves it should be okay for them to stay that way as long as their breathing path was not obstructed by fluffy bedding or toys in the area.  The doctor did stress to check on them regularly. 

Angela735
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Leave her. If she can get over there, she can get back. 

I am a proud mom who, breastfed til 18months, co-slept for a while, immunize every time, spank when necessary, time out when necessary, trusts God for all her family's needs.how are you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)