Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 month old waking up every other hour to eat at night

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: At what age did your baby start sleeping through the night most of the time?

Options:

2-3 months

3-4 months

4-5 months

5-6 months

6-7 months

7-8 months

8-9 months

9-10 months

10-11 months

12 + months

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

Lately my 2 1/2 month old has been waking up every other hour or even every hour to eat at night (he is bottlefed). Usually he will sleep 3-4 hours when I first put him down and then will start wanting to eat an ounce or so instead of 3-4 ounces for the rest of the night. He falls back asleep before he finishes his bottle. It is starting to drive me crazy! I have tried everything that I can think of to keep him awake and interested in finishing his bottle. I change his diaper, turn on the light, talk to him. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can make him sleep for more than an hour at a time? I don't want this to last forever.

Jen (Mommy of Devan)

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveHayden08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

he is prob going through a growth spurt, my son always did that when he was growing!! my son was nursed but I could tell when he was hitting a growth spurt cause it was like he wanted to nurse all the time.

CODYSMOM_00

my son had reflux and colic, and was on meds for it. he was about 1 when he slept through the night. good luck!!!!

cmb121906

My first slept thru the night at 2 months. My second not until around 10 months when he started eating solid foods. He was always hungry and now at almost 21 months, he's still a food freak LOL.

It wont last forever, it could be a growth spurt. He is also still really young.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown!

lovingmom15063
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Is it like that during the day you might want to try putting baby cereal in his bottle. The bottle might be filling him up I had to do that to youngest child and she started sleeping more. have a great day

Emily4536
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM

well first off i want to say i know what your going thru my DD did this I had no idea why she had been sleeping through the nightsince about 6-8 weeks I finally took her to the dr and she had an ear infection. but they also told me that they will go through phases where they sleep great then all the sudden they wont sleep so great it most likely is a phase and it will pass. and just to let you know hen DD had the ear infection she wasnt crabby or running a fever either  the only thing she did was when she had the ar infection was just eat an ounce or so every hour or so god luck and like i said it most likely is a phase and it will pass good luck I know what it is like

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM

That's NORMAL.

Babies are meant to be breastfed so when they go through growth spurts, they suckle to build up your milk supply. That instinct is still there, even if you're not breastfeeding. There is nothing you can do to make your baby sleep through the night, especially at such a young age. These sleepless nights are PART OF BEING A MOM and they don't last forever.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

truely914
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM

My daughter was  small 5lb. she would do the same thing.  I became slap happy.   The dr told me it was necessary because of her weight that I couldn't skip any of them.  It would take her an hour to drink 2 oz. so every two hours was every other hour.  I think I'm slap happy now.

I wish sleep for you.  Good night.

Kiki7808
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM

my dd did that at time when she was that young too, but at 5 months i had her falling alseep on her own and than at 7 months i had her sleeping through the night cuz she was old enough to not need to eat at night and it was just a habbit. it will get better tho, at that age they can change really fast, just ride it out.

jen_dev09
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Quoting Emily4536:

well first off i want to say i know what your going thru my DD did this I had no idea why she had been sleeping through the nightsince about 6-8 weeks I finally took her to the dr and she had an ear infection. but they also told me that they will go through phases where they sleep great then all the sudden they wont sleep so great it most likely is a phase and it will pass. and just to let you know hen DD had the ear infection she wasnt crabby or running a fever either  the only thing she did was when she had the ar infection was just eat an ounce or so every hour or so god luck and like i said it most likely is a phase and it will pass good luck I know what it is like

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm worried he might have an ear infection. He hasn't been eating well for several weeks (usually the most he will eat at a time is 3 ounces and sometimes less than that). Before he started to become a fussy eater he was starting to eat 5 ounces at a time.

Jen (Mommy of Devan)

adalinema
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM

i wouldnt try to keep him up or wake him up, way to young for that, his body knows what he needs, when he needs sleep and eat, dont wake him up to eat too, like that every two hrs thing,thats bs. just when its time to eat, up his oz. see how much  he will take. start a nite routine, bath, lotion, putting him on his belly for exercise, that will make him sleepy. they say between 4-6 month depending on weight a baby is capable of sleeping through the nite, i kno its tough but it will pass. promise, good luck, we all have been there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)