Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Didn't know I was pregnant and have been drinking & smoking heavily?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
  • 22 Replies
I am 25 weeks pregnant and just found out 2 weeks ago after taking a pregnancy test! I continued to have what I thought were periods and haven't had any signs!! I have smoked pretty heavily and there is a lot going on during the summer around here so I was drinking AT LEAST 5 beers a couple times a week. I am sooo worried now after doing some research. has anyone dealt with this and had their baby born without problems??

*edit*

I have quit now that I found out  and discussed it with my doctor at my prenatal appt today. I have an ulterasound scheduled for next week. I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with anything like this personally. I am freaking out!!
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shawni04
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Wow youdidn't know till just barley!!! Thats crazy! Anyways, my friend smoke through both of her whole pregnancys and both her children are fine! The drinking is kinda iffy! I know a girl who drank to abort the baby and failed miserably! Her son has some learning disabilities but thats about it! He is 18 now but he's healthy!

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM

There is this show called "I didn't know I was Pregnant" and on some of the episodes women smoked and drank during their pregnancies unaware of the life inside them until giving birth on a toliet. 

I smoked during my pregnanices with no reprecussions to my children. I am now a non-smoker.

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM

fromt his point on take good care of yourself and get good prenatal care!

my friends sister didnt know she was pregnant until she was giving birth and she was drinking smoking ciggs and weed the whole time. Her son is now 3 mo old and healthy !!  The worst things dont always happen.

BTW - I smoke, smoked with my first and smoke with this one. My son is perfectly healthy and this pregnancy is going perfectly fine to. Most OB's will tell you to cut back your smoking but not to just quit anyways.

CamdensMom12
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I wouldnt worry too much. People smoked during their whole pregnancies before they knew it was bad. Like my mom and I'm fine. lol and as far as drinking, if it was mainly beer I would worry less than if it was hard alcohol. The odds are you are fine. Try not to worry too much, stress can impact a baby too!! :)

MegaMomof3
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Quoting Shawni04:

Wow youdidn't know till just barley!!! Thats crazy! Anyways, my friend smoke through both of her whole pregnancys and both her children are fine! The drinking is kinda iffy! I know a girl who drank to abort the baby and failed miserably! Her son has some learning disabilities but thats about it! He is 18 now but he's healthy!

OMG that is awful! I can't believe someone would purposely do that! I am glad to hear he is alright!

MegaMomof3
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Thank y'all for your encouraging answers and thank you for not attacking me! I was kind of scared to post this on here because I know how ugly people can get! Thanks again!

GOBryan
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM

My MIL smoked thrughout her pregnancies, she had 7 kids and my son was the youngest. He was born premature, likely due to that reason for one.. his lungs have never fully developed.

As long as you have stopped and start caring for yourself and the baby, your baby will still have a chance to be born healthy.

Loved4Sure
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I had done the same thing. I took 2 pregnancy tests that came out not preg, and I drank.

My Doc said he doubts my baby was damaged because he thinks it was before the implantation stage.

At least you can share that with the doc.

Lots of luck to you.

hailnbray

i did not know i was pregnant for 3 months. i didnt smoke but i did drink a few times. the baby is fine and really has no issues at all. however it wasnt as often as u. i only got drunk maybe 4-5 times in that 3 month period 

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

chel1195

I had a couple of drinks before I found out I was pregnant with my DD but, I found out at 4 wks... so its a big difference.  I don't smoke at all... but here is a bump!!

**I do have a friend that drank VERY heavily before she found out she was pregnant.  I think she was like 10 or 12 wks when she found out.  Her son has some learning disabilities and is very behind.  I'm not sure that it was the drinking though.  Her 'baby daddy' gave her several different STD's while she was p/g (I know, after he gave her one why would she continue to sleep w/ him??  I have noooo idea!) and I think that had a lot to do with it.  When she gave birth she had just been over chlamydia for about a wk and she had an active break out of warts.  Sooo, I don't really know what it was that caused it... just wanted to bump you though so you can get a better answer from someone else, hopefully!!  Good luck!!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN