Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

advice on baptizing 13 year old

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

my son is turning 13 and i want to get him baptized any suggestions comments or advice please

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:50 AM

Does he want to be baptized?  I dont know what church you go to but some may require the children to go to classes before baptism.  I was baptized as a baby so I am not much help.

Mily4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Depending on if your son wants to or not and what church/religion you go to/are....he'll have to do something like confirmation classes.  Unless you have a super nice priest/pastor and they settle for just having a few discussions with your son and another with your family to make sure he knows what it means and that he's sure he wants to do it.  I'd talk to your son first, if you haven't, and then contact your pastor.  Good luck!

bonkersornuts
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM

I was baptized about that age. I went to a baptist church. It had to be MY decision to get it done. I didn't have to go to any classes or anything. I had to tell the preacher why I wanted baptized and tell him what it meant to get it done. That was it. Then the following Sunday I did it.Good luck.

I hope you are letting him make this desion for himself.

CaideysMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM

As long as this is something your son WANTS to do... then he should talk to his Pastor/Priest about it. I really don't think you should make the decision for him though... that would just make him resent you and the situation. This is something you want him to do on his own, so that he gets the most out of it. I'm sure it will all work out :)

CafeMom Tickers

* Choices -- They are a part of life; everyone gets to make their own. ** Offer advice when asked for -- don't force your beliefs on others ** You have to GIVE respect to GET respect. ** People have a right to make their own mistakes without someone else pointing out their flaws. 

sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM

This...

Quoting bonkersornuts:

I was baptized about that age. I went to a baptist church. It had to be MY decision to get it done. I didn't have to go to any classes or anything. I had to tell the preacher why I wanted baptized and tell him what it meant to get it done. That was it. Then the following Sunday I did it.Good luck.

I hope you are letting him make this desion for himself.

Cisri1974
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM

I tend to agree that it should be your son's decision on this one.  I was baptized at age 12 (my choice) when I was going through a particularly religious period.  It was a decision I made on my own.  Since that time over 20 years ago, my religious views have changed dramatically (I presently consider myself Agnostic). 

RheaF
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Like the PP said, as long as it is something HE wants to do, and believes in. I mean you can do it against his will but it will mean nothing. I was baptized at 13. but I am not sure what you are looking for here. Advice on what? How to do it? I am assuming you already go to church, if not maybe that would be a place to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)