Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mydaughter is starting school and I have an issue

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

My oldest will start school tomorrow last night we met her teacher and got to see the class room she will be in. Well I like the teacher but the room is in the schools basement. It is very small for 20 kids 1 Teacher and 1 TA  (maybe even more kids then that could go to 25). The ceiling is low with pipes everywhere and the schools computer servers are in the back corner, if you know anything about computer servers they make a lot of noise with fans and such.. I can't believe they are in the room right out in the open, too high for the kids but right there in the room. I had a hard time with the noise they made and I'm in my late 30's my daughter is 5..She is very smart already thank god because I don't know if she will learn anything in that room. Also I'm thinking mold because I was told that room flooded a lot in the past and radon....OMG what if there is radon. I'm going to cry

I know there are laws and rules how do I find out about air quality? Do I rock the boat this early? What would you do?

My sister is a teacher in Northern Calif. and I'm thinking about sending my daughter 3000K miles away to attend her school to get her out of the basement classroom.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AliviasMommy1st
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:32 AM

I would rock the boat if I were you.  Call your local news channel have them do a report.  Get your local health officials involved and tell them that you would like a mold and mildew inspection and a radon test performed.  Write an editorial in your local paper.  You most likely could do all of this annomously (sorry for the spelling).  Keep us posted on how it goes.  I don't think sending her 3000 miles away is a good idea.  You would miss her too much, and it could get very expensive.

Doryon Adams

Independent Pampered Chef Consultanttoddler girl

Mily4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Are they even allowed to have classrooms in the basement?  Are there exits for the kids to get out of in case of an emergency?  I would try talking to the super intendant of the school.  Isn't there another school you can send her too?  My daughter starts 5k next week and while this is my fourth child, I can still relate to how hard it is to send them away and I would be tempted to send mine 3000 miles away too.  I hope something can be done.  I think that's crazy! 

millerbunch
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM

that sucks. sorry momma that you and your daughter are going through that...
maybe you could ask to have her moved to another classroom because 1. you're afraid of the moist atmosphere 2. the noisy computers are distracting 3. you could tell them your daughter doesn't like closed in spaces with no windows...    i wouldn't go as far as sending your daughter 3000 mi away, she would miss you terribly :) 

maybe look into another local school and transfer her?  if you're that passionate about not wanting her to go, then that's an option to try out..

good luck

CaideysMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:41 AM

Don't just rock the boat Mommy... SINK IT !!

I would definitely get the media involved - as well as the community !! I wouldn't send my child there, but I would also make sure other children didn't have to be in that situation either; that is unreal !!

I can understand that a lot of schools are having budget issues - but if they can not fully accommodate the number of children - then they should limit enrollment - plain and simple. Every child deserves a quality education, and that surely can not be acquired in a basement filled with noisy, and possibly dangerous equipment !!

CafeMom Tickers

* Choices -- They are a part of life; everyone gets to make their own. ** Offer advice when asked for -- don't force your beliefs on others ** You have to GIVE respect to GET respect. ** People have a right to make their own mistakes without someone else pointing out their flaws. 

kids4ever515
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Wow. Are there windows or fire exits? I would not send my child there either. Some schools have open enrollment. I would do your research and find her a new school. I would not send her 3000 miles away. If you are gonna spend the money to do that then why not pay for a private school in your area. I am not much of a private school person, but its better than the basement.

sampsonbabe
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM

good luck!

My dh taught at a school that flooded every time it rained.

ActionBaby
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:36 AM

That is so horrible.  For sure not stimulating.  Get her out - and tell the superintendent why and that you will not return her until the conditions are adequate for a child's learning experience.

Homeschool her or find another school and drive her daily to it.  There are rules and regulations and I am sure the poor teacher is wishing some parent would stand up and say "HELL NO!"

~Simply, Ang ~       

Action Baby Carriers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)