• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe churches are hypocritical?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you find the majority of Christian churches to be hypocritical?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 71

View Results

*I'm going to talk like a Christian, just to warn you:) I am one after all! lol!

Do you think church's are hypocritical? Not the people in the church but the actual churches themselves (or I should say people who run the church because technically in Bible terms the church is the people)? I say not the 'people' (as in the ENTIRE congregation... after all that can range from 10 to 1000 people)  because of the fact that we are all human and it doesn't matter what religion you believe in, you will 'stray' at one point or another and nobody can do everything perfect. 

I personally find many churches are hypocritical. They will say one thing and do another. I know I have met many Christians that are the same way but sometimes I have to wonder if it's a reflection of what they are shown by their churches. I went to a church before who wanted to praise God however they felt like it. Whether by loud music or quiet music or dancing or singing... they wanted to do it however they felt led. But the church got most of their money from the older generation in the congregation and so did whatever the older generation told them too... which was not what they felt led to do by God but  they didn't want to loose their funding so older generation got their way. I've also heard preachers preach about not 'drinking, smoking, cussing, working on Sunday, judging' (ect) but then have found them doing such things. I know that not everyone is going to do things perfect BUT I do personally believe that if you are going to be in a position of leadership at your church then you should do everything in your power to stay true to your churches values and beliefs and not let and one person/people of a congregation control you. Right now we live at a school that is run by SDA Christians and I find them to be very hypocritical... I don't know if it's all SDA's but many here are. They have been so bad that we are having fellow teachers approach us about them asking us what they should do because they think we should know since we're Christians (though not SDA). Anyway, overall I have found that I learn so much more from small groups or having dinner with fellow Christians then I do from going to church every Sunday and/or trying to fit the mold of a church.   

*I, personally, believe in God. I go (well, did, when I was living in the States, can't find one in English anymore!) to church every week and read my Bible and have a relationship with God ect. I belong to no particular denomination, so I guess I would be 'classified' as a non-denominational Christian. Anyway. I know I'm not perfect and I will do things that I don't necessarily think are right, but I try and do my best. I'm not one of those people who will judge you immediately for a mistake or jump down your throat because you're not a Christian, that's just not me... not saying I haven't judged before because I know I have, I guess it's one of my weaknesses. Nor will I ever say that I am better then anyone, and if you ever hear me say (write) such a thing then please, by all means, bring it to my attention because that is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves (along with 'you don't get your way because you don't have enough faith' (sorry for all the people who believe that way, I just don't and have had way to many people tell me that when I've been in a rut and I'm only there because 'I don't/didn't have enough faith')) ! =D 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Bloggin' about livin' in South Korea kleveille.blogspot.com
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoyandLove
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

No just some of the people in them. 

sheshe777
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I replyed other because I believe that some chruches are. I am also a christina and there are some church that "preach" one thing and do another. That is what I think runs people away and leaving them wanting noting to do with christianty or church all together. Being a christian and going to church does not mean that you wont have problems or go through difficult things. When you begin to "ACT" as if you are better then others and judge, that is whrere the probllems come in. Does not mean that you can do what ever you want just be truthful.

Tinkerbell Looking Cute

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Yes, that is why I don't go anymore. I find most religious people to be more judgemental too then the average person.

BOOGIETHEBOOG
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Quoting JoyandLove:

No just some of the people in them. 

maryinger
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM

this is why my philosophy is "cling to christ and avoid christians."

2milesboys
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Quoting coffeeluvnmom3:

Yes, that is why I don't go anymore. I find most religious people to be more judgemental too then the average person.

Wifey2Watson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I think some are, but I don't feel like the one I attend is. I attend a really poor church, and everyone is just fine with that. The pastor doesn't get paid, he has a job just like everyone else and spends all of his remaining time doing pastor stuff. We go by what the Bible says and the people give what they can.  

southernjess3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM

yup-same here..we actually had a pastors son throw rocks at my aunt and called her retarded(she has cerebral palsey)..anyways..i refuse to put up with the judging..the only people i know who are religous that dont judge are dh family..

Quoting coffeeluvnmom3:

c_disario
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I say yes, why... oh its way too long of a story... But to be more specific I say yes to the roman catholic religion...

coffeeluvnmom3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:36 PM

omg, how awful!!!

Quoting southern jess3:

yup-same here..we actually had a pastors son throw rocks at my aunt and called her retarded(she has cerebral palsey)..anyways..i refuse to put up with the judging..the only people i know who are religious that dont judge are dh family..

Quoting coffeeluvnmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)